Just saw Food Inc...

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boy.. some busy time lately. I still have to finish the orchard lecture in another topic and I have some more polish books on agriculture from the 80's which is a very permacuture similar thing.

I have to tell you, that what just blew me away when I watched food inc, was the sight of cattle feed lots. I mean, yeah some of you talked about it here, but seeing it is just a whole new world. Cmon, you try something like that here in Poland and you have Greenpeace, and other activists on your head in no time....

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Sort of unfortunately, my SO's reaction to feed lots and chicken houses is to become vegetarian. :/ We have our own chickens, so eggs are still OK. Thank heavens.

It's starting to wear a bit thin for me- I'm starting to want a steak, and I don't really even like beef that much.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
Sort of unfortunately, my SO's reaction to feed lots and chicken houses is to become vegetarian. :/
If I couldn't get my own local, humanely raised meat, so would I.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
rty007 said:
Boy.. some busy time lately. I still have to finish the orchard lecture in another topic and I have some more polish books on agriculture from the 80's which is a very permacuture similar thing.

I have to tell you, that what just blew me away when I watched food inc, was the sight of cattle feed lots. I mean, yeah some of you talked about it here, but seeing it is just a whole new world. Cmon, you try something like that here in Poland and you have Greenpeace, and other activists on your head in no time....
Where are they here? We have PETA, a group that tends to give animal rights a bad name.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
valmom said:
Sort of unfortunately, my SO's reaction to feed lots and chicken houses is to become vegetarian. :/ We have our own chickens, so eggs are still OK. Thank heavens.

It's starting to wear a bit thin for me- I'm starting to want a steak, and I don't really even like beef that much.
You can be a healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian if you use the info in Nourishing Traditions and eat a high-quality diet, especially the eggs and dairy....pastured (both) and raw (the dairy.) As long as one is not a "modern" vegetarian, eating processed foods full of soy, and/or a "carb-etarian," eating mostly grains and seeds, refined or not.

Go have a bison burger! Loaded with cheddar!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
rty007 said:
Just wait until you've lived it rty007! We love to spend time in Kansas. The wide open spaces, beautiful grass lands and low population density are all my cup of tea.

When traveling in eastern Kansas the Flint Hills area you see the cattle industry at it's best. Thousands of acres of the richest grass on earth dotted with cattle eating and resting and being watered by windmill pumped wells. Wonderful.

prairie%20cows%201.JPG

Red%20Hills%20Angus.JPG

Then you get to western Kansas. Feed lots as far as the eye can see. Manure dust so thick in the air it is like a haze. Cows packed together the favorite lounge area was on top of huge manure piles. Huge packing plants dotting the cities with trucks lined up to unload their cargo in them. I did not take pictures of that. Pretty disgusting.

It is interesting to note that SOME feed lots you see the cows, you see the dust but really the smell is not bad at all. OTHER lots you smell for a mile before and after you drive past them. Obviously even with a feed lot the management makes a HUGE difference.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Did you get to visit that place? Wow how beautiful!

Sheep in general have it good. Almost all are grass finished.

Those of you looking for good healthy meat need to include lamb in your diet. It is VERY high dollar if you buy it a chop at a time from the store, but buying a butcher lamb on the hoof is much more reasonable.

Good lamb tastes much like beef for those who have never tried it. Just be sure the butcher trims the fat well. (Many Americans have never even eaten lamb) I buy two lambs at a time and fill my freezer. When people come over for dinner and I feed them lamb (in one form or another) I usually ask them what kind of meats they have tried. When it finally is reveled that they are eating lamb meat most are surprised. They just assume they are eating beef.

Goose meat, bison, and lamb are almost always completely grass fed.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Did you get to visit that place? Wow how beautiful!

Many Americans have never even eaten lamb
yeah, i spent 6 months in NZ studying abroad during college. it is the most amazing place i've ever been- visually, culturally, and sustainability-wise.

i had never had lamb until i lived in NZ. i could never get past the "cute" factor. funnily enough, it was that same cute factor that convinced me to eat it. i was in Australia visiting a friend and some of their friends threw a BBQ to welcome me. being Australia, they had lamb (from NZ) and KANGAROO. i knew i had to eat something so i wouldn't offend anyone, and i just COULDN'T eat the kangaroo. so i put on my big girl pants and had the lamb. and it was amazing.

the rest of the time i was in NZ, i ate just about nothing but lamb and squid (caught fresh every day- right off the boats at the dock). it was foodie heaven. and about as sustainable as you can get.

lamb is now my favorite meat.