Just wanted to share that today is . . .

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Congratulations, punkin! I hope you two did something fun to celebrate together. :)

Like MorelCabin, my husband and I are about to reach the 13 year mark! We also had a winter wedding. Here's the story on how we met:

LOL When I was in junior high I had this huge crush on my science partner. He reminded me of John Cusak. ;) It took me years to get over that crush. But I did. Then I went off to college. In the days between moving into the dorm and starting classes, I was looking for fun ways to while away my time and so I went to an open-air concert in the middle of campus. Who do you think I stumbled on? LOL

We ended up hanging out some and eating a few meals here and there together and that is how I met my husband. He was living in the same dorm with my friend and happened to bum a smoke off him one day. He was much older than us, though. 5 years. As I got to know him, we both realized we had a LOT in common and spent quite a few nights not getting much sleep . . . um, it was all very platonic then. We just spent hours and hours talking. :)

I changed schools about the same time he graduated, so he followed me, and since I was paying my way through college, he helped share rent.

We are both still friends with our "unintentional match-maker."

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
A long time ago in another life during my first hitch with the Army there was a guy in my section (E) from Southern Illinois. I was interested in forestry and the junior college where he was from had a forestry program. He invited me to go home with him one weekend to meet a female friend (N) of his that was in the forestry program so we could talk about forestry. Little did I know that N was going with a guy that E did not like so part of the reason was to try to break up the relationship. We we couldn't find N so we ended up in town at her sister's (C) apartment. Now E liked C but I didn't know that.

I don't remember all that happened that weekend but C was a cheerleader for the junior college basketball team and she had great legs. Yep, I'm a guy. I fell for a great set of legs.

The next weekend when my friend was getting ready to head home for the weekend I asked if he would see C. He said probably so I asked him to tell her hi. He said come on up and tell her hi yourself. I was ready in a few minutes and the rest is history.

Went to meet one girl and ended up marrying her sister.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks for your story dacjohns. :)

It reminds me a little of my grandparents's story. They were both enlisted in WWII. He was a pilot. She was in a nursing unit. They met in the States, actually, but what happened was my grandfather was dating her friend and her friend borrowed her swimming cap. She went to retrieve it from my grandfather's vehicle and, yes, the rest is history. LOL

Oooopps, edited for punctuation! :lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I don't know exactly how my MIL & FIL met, but they were married on their second date. Yep, their second.

They just celebrated their 47th wedding anniversary.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, 20 years is quite an accomplishment, punkin! Congratulations!!!

I love everyone's stories. DH & I have been married 2 1/2 years (we're still early enough to be counting fractions of years. ;)) We actually officially met the day after I got hired at a school in Chicago (5 hours away). I'd known him in passing as he was in a band that had played with my friends' band a couple of times. He was talking to a friend of mine, so I decided to butt into their conversation. After our conversation, I told the friend that I was going to ask him out. Didn't have the courage to do it that night, but I saw him at a bar the following weekend, and we ended up talking for several hours. The rest is history!

The more interesting story is that he proposed at one of his shows. On stage, in front of about 100 people. I was totally mortified, but it makes for a good story. :)

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats on 20 years!

I was working at a credit union and became friends with a girl who came in regularly to do her banking. We started hanging out together and one day she brought her brother (Dave) along to the credit union with her. The three of us and another girl I worked with started going out dancing on the weekends. Dave and I eventually became close friends, which his sister did not like, so we stopped hanging out with her and spent more time together. Almost a year after we met, we got married. Most of our family thought we probably wouldn't last because I had gotten pregnanat before we decided to marry, but we will have our 9yr anniversary in May.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
You were quite the rebel when you were younger, weren't you?
That is probably one of the nicer ways to describe it. :lol:

Cassandra