JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhhh, what a Monday.! Got up this morning, to 35 degrees. Brrrrrrrr. Made coffee...drank 2 cups before heading out to do chores. I had to hurry through, hubby had appointments at the VA today, in INDY. Thats about an hour and a half drive one way. UGH! So, by 9 am, we were on the road. Had to make a stop at the bank, then the gas station for me to potty, ( drank that coffee too fast) We finally got to the VA about 10:45. Went straight to get his blood work done, then to the eye appointment. They called him back around 11 am...I sat there and waited...and waited....and waited some more. 1:30, he comes out. Jeesh! We had just enough time to go to the coffee shop and get a coffee, then to the Dr app. That appointment was at 2:15. He was called back almost immediately, I was thinking....great, this wont take long. HAHA!! He didn't come out from there until 3:45! While I was waiting on hubby, I struck up a conversation with a veteran. He made a comment about making sure we went and got our travel pay. Hu? Travel pay? I guess, since we have to drive so far, we get mileage. Well, this was the first we have heard of this...so we went to check it out. Sure enough...$57.00! WOW! That payed for the gas there and back. :cool: After leaving the VA, we had to make a stop at a friends, to pick up some fencing and poles that was donated..10 ft tall chain link! NEW!! I also had to pick up 2 doves, a cage, and some turtles to release, some pond food and bird seed. :thumbsup On the highway....we ended up in stop and go traffic, for about 30 minutes...and of COURSE, I had to potty! LOL I thought we would NEVER get through there....once we got the point where we could see what was blocking traffic, I had to laugh. Someone had a forklift, on a flat bed....well, apparently the forks were lifted too high, and when they went under the overpass...yup....whooosh! Off it came. There it lay, on its side, in the middle of the highway. :th So....we get through there, and FINALLY on our way home...we hadn't eaten all day, since hubby had to have blood drawn...I didn't want to eat in front of him, and we THOUGHT we would have time to get lunch at the VA cafeteria. We ended up stopping at the Waffle house on the way home. Didn't get home until 8 pm. Poor Suzie was begging to be milked! LOL Had to milk by lantern....now I know why farmers of the olden days made sure to get it all done before sundown. That was tough! Suzie didn't like the lantern...she shuffled around, making milking a real chore. Got the poultry all locked up, milk is put up, coffee is made, and I am going to bed soon! Oh....when I was taking the bird seed from the bag...I noticed there were some Non animal related items in the bottom of the bag....I immediately called my friend to ask if she had made a mistake. Nope, she thought I might be able to use these items..... Sterile, rubber catheters..( :sick ) 2 I.V. bags of Saline...WITH the needles....bandages, band aids, all sorts of medical stuff. I asked where it came from, she said one of the volunteers for the rescue is a nurse...and thought someone might be able to use these items on rescued animals. I am not sure what all is in there...I will go through it tomorrow. The turtles are in the pond, the doves are covered and quiet...all the animals are tucked in...now it is MY turn.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday we got busy moving the wooden crates to the pasture, to build another shelter. We loaded them on the flatbed, and hooked it to the tractor...and took them over to the pasture..
99_dsc01749.jpg

99_dsc01748.jpg

I Didn't take as long as we thought it would, within 2 hrs, we had another shelter! :D
99_dsc01750.jpg

Now all that is left is to put something on the top, to make an angle....and then paint. Total size...4 ft tall...3 1/2 ft deep....9 ft long. total cost? FREE! Woohoo!!
I won't be finishing it today...we are celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary today. After animal chores are finished...house cleaned up a bit, we are going to tractor supply, window shopping for a pull behind 3 pt tiller. Oh, I know we can't afford one any time soon, but, wishful thinking! LOL Then..for dinner, we will go to Frisches...Thats where hubby and I met 32 years ago, we both worked there. :p
Oh, I was able to FINALLY get some hay in! Woohoo! Sigh of relief. Its a "pasture mix" but it looks pretty good, and I was able to get it for $3.00 a square bale, AND delivered and stacked! The kid told me IF I order 60 or more, he will bring his hay elevator, and put all the hay in the TOP of the barn for me. It sure would free up a lot of space...but I am not sure I want to be climbing that wall ladder. It scares me! Hubby said he was going to put in regular stairs..ummm, ok...when!?? LOL
Im off to do the morning chores....hope you all have a GREAT day!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Congratulations on the Anniversary!! Have a great time celebrating. :clap

You have us by about 6 months, we have our 31 in April.

The shelters look great! I love a project that comes together so fast and FREE to boot! It sure will be nice this winter. :cool:

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those are great shelters!

Happy anniversary too!