Kamakazi Deer

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, what a way to start your day!!!

OK, Baymule, I know YOU would have taken that rascal home & dressed it for the freezer it!! :p
Darn right I would! For wrecking my car, I'd get my revenge and EAT him.....make some cool knife handles from the antlers and maybe scare up an old seatless chair at a junk store and stretch the hide for a seat.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I came close to hitting a cow (calf) today. I pulled into the driveway, honked, knocked on the door, nobody home. Their smallish calves broke through the fence right by the road. Maybe I shoulda sped up? J/k those babies were way bigger than a deer! :eek:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I was driving down to West Cork to view a rental property. I got stuck behind lorries on the way, so I was running quite late by the time I got there and it was pitch dark already. Knowing the road well I maintained a good speed between villages. I drove round a bend and suddenly 2 smallish deer walked into the road! :ep I think that was the first deer I ever saw here, in Ireland. They saw the oncoming vehicle and stopped, staring at me. I was driving a Renault Megane Scenic at the time (crap car). Not the most responsive vehicle with speeding up or slowing down. I did what I could, told DS to hang on tight and slammed on the brakes as hard as I could. I stopped within a few inches of those deer, who stood there throughout, staring at me. I sat and uttered a few blue words and they, well, I didn't ask their opinions, before they ran off. I got to the rental property still shaking and told the owner what happened. He said that stretch of road is notorious for deer. Unusual for Ireland. Sheep on the roads is the biggest hazard here. The farmers let them roam loose everywhere and I had two close shaves with them as well.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yes, they're like goats! They don't seem so dumb to me, but maybe that's because I've seen fawns. Fawns are DUMB. They don't know what to do when they see a vehicle and then spaz out veering all over the place, in and out of the road.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
One of my big fears! A woman in WI was killed that way, quite a few years ago when I was younger and more impressionable.