Kamakazi Deer

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So strange to me to read about deer being unusual in some areas. Deer are..... e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e here. I see deer almost daily. I spring and fall, it's unusual to go driving (especially at dusk) and NOT see a deer (or five).

I have been in the car during 2 accidents hitting deer. One of them my dad was driving when I was a teen. He had stopped to let the first couple deer pass. Then a third one came running aross the road and ran into the side of our (stopped!) van! Lol!

I've also hit deer 3 times. Once in the middle of the night in Iowa on a road trip. Once on an icy road, hit the deer, fishtailed, and ended up in the ditch - totaled my car. Once while driving DS10's friend home! I saw motion in my peripheral vision, but the deer ran int o me before I "saw" it.

The scariest one was driving home from DH's family in winter. DH was driving, it was nighttime and heavy fog. That doesn't slow down his driving, which is terrifying. He drove over a hill (speed about 65 mph) and there were 2 deer in the middle of the road. I close my eyes and wait for impact. DH drove right between the deer. They were so surprised they didn't move. Unbelievably, he has no memory of it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crazy! Yeah we have them everywhere too. The moose are what really scare me. They'll kill you, doesn't matter much how "safe" your car is.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So strange to me to read about deer being unusual in some areas. Deer are..... e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e here. I see deer almost daily. I spring and fall, it's unusual to go driving (especially at dusk) and NOT see a deer (or five).

I have been in the car during 2 accidents hitting deer. One of them my dad was driving when I was a teen. He had stopped to let the first couple deer pass. Then a third one came running aross the road and ran into the side of our (stopped!) van! Lol!

I've also hit deer 3 times. Once in the middle of the night in Iowa on a road trip. Once on an icy road, hit the deer, fishtailed, and ended up in the ditch - totaled my car. Once while driving DS10's friend home! I saw motion in my peripheral vision, but the deer ran int o me before I "saw" it.

The scariest one was driving home from DH's family in winter. DH was driving, it was nighttime and heavy fog. That doesn't slow down his driving, which is terrifying. He drove over a hill (speed about 65 mph) and there were 2 deer in the middle of the road. I close my eyes and wait for impact. DH drove right between the deer. They were so surprised they didn't move. Unbelievably, he has no memory of it.
They are not very intelligent animals from the sounds of things. Thankfully they are pretty rare here, compared to you guys. I've heard of so many people I know hitting them, they sound like a huge problem on the roads by you.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't think they're particularly unintelligent. I think our roads are a problem in their woods! They travel a lot at dawn and dusk and we show up and shine lights in their faces. We're quite rude! Lol

Deer are like goats. Pretty smart but kind of spastic.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That one running into the van like that… But then mind you, I had a CHILD run into my car while I was driving one evening. And not a young one either, 7 or 8, old enough to have more sense. Thankfully he was unhurt, but goodness, he scared me!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yes, they're like goats! They don't seem so dumb to me, but maybe that's because I've seen fawns. Fawns are DUMB. They don't know what to do when they see a vehicle and then spaz out veering all over the place, in and out of the road.