RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so bow season starts tomorrow in alabama and DH decided since he was on his dads property he'd get a head start by just sitting in a tree this evening with a crossbow..

well he hit one with the cross bow and now he cant find it. I think he deserves it for hunting before he was supposed to, but I hate to think its suffering and now no one will get to enjoy it since he cant find it.. to bad too since i was looking forward to fixing him a nice recipe id found involving venison..

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, I think you pegged it right....bad karma! :D
My boys bowhunt( but not with crossbows) so I am looking forward to some tenderloin myself! :p

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ooo its not tenderloin.. its cubesteak.

Anyways I found it on BYC's recipe section, I'm a terrible cook and always looking for realllllly simple easy to follow recipes.

Here's the link to the original recipe (and it has pictures!)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/recipe-file/

PossumPoint:
"I use cubed deer steaks and they are awesome. I also saute mushrooms and add provolone cheese to ours."

Had to give her the credit, even if it is on a different board.

It worked out good with beef, so I figure venison will be great for him.. oh well :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
After years of putting up deer we just keep it simple nowdays. We save the tenderloin for butterfly steaks and make the rest into hamburger. Myself, I would like to can some but the kids don't like it that way......this year I'm going to do it anyway..just for me! :cool:

Making it into hamburger makes it more versatile for us and our lifestyle....it tastes just like the steak, just comes in a different form! :D

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree it is easier to get just hamburger and tenderloin. Last time he took it to the processor and got deer sausage and cubesteak and a roast and of course tenderloin. I thought it was kind of expensive to get it cut up all those different ways..

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
RTRChick,

oooh, your poor man. I know he must be kicking himself again and again. Better luck next time.

I love to eat the deer my hubby brings home. We live on it for about half a year. That and chicken.

I agree it's silly to pay for all that processing when we can do it ourselves for the cost of a good set of knives. My hubby is set on making the deer sausage ourselves this year and processing all the meat as well.

Wish us luck

Sharene

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hope the deer passed away quickly. I feel bad for your hubby though. I can imagine how he felt but he should have waited!!!

This year will be the first we do any hunting. Our back pasture is loaded with deer. they think they have a safe place here. :cool: Last year I sat on the back porch and watched 6 deer walk about thirty feet in front of me. They were just nibbling grass. They were all does. But that's what I want. Nice and tender!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It is more likely that he just grazed it. This happened to my hubby a few years back. He found the blood trail, followed it--it tapered off and he never did find the deer. He was out for three days afterwards looking for it, with the help of some neighbours and myself. Not to be found.

A few weeks later, the deer was seen again in the same field. Identifiable b/c of his antlers.

That's the one thing about bow hunting. Don't shoot unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain you have a kill shot. And even then sometimes things don't work out.

scrambledmess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I so wish my guy was a hunter. He says he doesn't have the stomach for it :( I can't complain, I don't either. But I love me some venison! Sorry about the bad luck, but yes Karma can sting at times.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am ready for deer season here! I haven't had venison roast or steak in forever!!!