Katahdin sheep

abigalerose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm wanting to raise katahdin sheep in the future, so is there anyone out there who can tell me anything and everything you know about them?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would love to start raising some other animals besides chickens, but I keep getting outvoted. I really would like to start with sheep or small pigs. It's not fair my vote only counts as 1 :rant
Just come home with a couple of pigs or lambs. This is a time when cuteness counts!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I raise Katahdin sheep and can't sing their praises enough. I have a lot of information about them on YouTube.

My channel is Thunder Ridge Homestead

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSszsnCNuz0fFUinYBLX4Yg

This is my latest video about how and why I halter break my lambs that I am planning on keeping.

If you have a lot of questions about them I would be happy to tell you what I have learned over the past few years keeping them. I am not a sheep expert yet, but I am working on it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have half Katahdin, half Dorper ewes and a Dorper ram. The lamb is out of this world, tender and delicious. I bought grade sheep because I am learning and didn't want to buy expensive sheep and kill them with ignorance. My next ram will be a registered Dorper and maybe 2-3 registered ewes.

Katahdins and Dorpers are both hair sheep, love 'em! Definitely mosey on over to BYH-link at the right, and join up. There is a good sheep forum there, lots of nice folks and everyone is very helpful.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to start raising some other animals besides chickens, but I keep getting outvoted. I really would like to start with sheep or small pigs. It's not fair my vote only counts as 1 :rant

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH did something like that once, when we lived in CA. He was out in the front yard when a couple of weaner piglets came trotting up saying "Hi! What's for breakfast?" He scooped them up, one in each arm, and dumped them in the back seat of the car (door was handily open), then started looking for their owner. Never did find anyone that knew anything about them, so we kept them. Named them Bacon and Hamlet.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When I had my hair sheep, my lawn looked like a neatly groomed English estate at all times...they even ate the weeds and grass around the fences, the base of the structures and trees, etc. Sure gave my old John Deere a good rest and saved me time, money, and effort. They didn't eat it too short....they ate it just right.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That would be an excellent use for sheep! Though sometimes they can scratch quite vigorously against fence posts, fences, buildings, etc., so they may just knock over a headstone or two in doing that. They also like to climb...can you just see those sheep standing on the larger stones? :gig Now, THAT would be a cemetery I wouldn't mind being sunk into...a peaceful, bucolic sheep field. :D