KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ORChick said:
BBH, I'm no expert by any means, but I have been taking care of a jar of kefir for about 2 years now, so here are my thoughts.
That qualifies you as our resident expert! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BBH ....Wow, that was some good reading. I think I am almost convinced to give it a try. I always thought yogurt had the same benefits. Well I stand corrected and I see kefir in my future.

Thanks for starting this thread. :thumbsup

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Now I know why you call her "little princess"! :lol: Is she 8 years old now? What a cutie! :)
She just turned 7. Don't get me wrong though...in this house she is a princess because she is truly sweet, not cuz she is rotten... although we all have our moments!

She is the type who sees her friend learning or attempting to learn a skill like read or do a cart wheel...witness a train wreck of a job and say to them "Wow you are really doing great! Good Job!" with complete enthusiasm :rolleyes: I don't know where she came from!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
BBH ....Wow, that was some good reading. I think I am almost convinced to give it a try. I always thought yogurt had the same benefits. Well I stand corrected and I see kefir in my future.

So someone please 'splain how to get it into picky kiddos!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made a frozen peach smoothie for the kids and myself this am. I used home made yogurt. Added lemon omega 3 oil, some perfect meal protein powder, milk, a couple frozen bananas and yes a bit of sugar. I could have used honey or agave but just grabbed the closest thing. I don't see why I could not substitute the kefir in it's place.

dace if you let you dd help with the smoothie will she drink it?

My kids are not picky at all though so they loved it. The smoothie came out kinda thick so they thought they were getting ice cream for breakfast. :hide

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
She has made them before and chosen what she wanted in it...maybe I just need to keep trying.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Here is what you do Dace, go to "Jamba Juice" ask if you can buy a couple of cups with their logo on them...usually they will give em to for free.

While that sweet 7 year old isn't paying attention, or when you pick her up from somewhere hand her a jamba juice cup full of your "smoothie". Dont forget to say "surprise!"

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Dace said:
TanksHill said:

So someone please 'splain how to get it into picky kiddos!
I know! I don't see it happening here. I can barely get it down myself! :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Has anyone used kefir instead of sour cream? Would that work? Maybe a bit runny, but it could go into a wrap, or on a sandwhich or something savory like that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You have to try the salad dressing mix: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2652&p=9

Drain the kefir and mix the salad dressing mix into it for a dip or a salad dressing. It is so good!

I tried making it with milder chevre and it was just not good. Kefir cheese is the perfect choice, it seems like sour cream this way. I bet it would be good as other dips, too, like French onion.