KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Here is what you do Dace, go to "Jamba Juice" ask if you can buy a couple of cups with their logo on them...usually they will give em to for free.

While that sweet 7 year old isn't paying attention, or when you pick her up from somewhere hand her a jamba juice cup full of your "smoothie". Dont forget to say "surprise!"
Girl you are smart! Love it!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Nothing is more fulfilling than tricking your own kid. :p Its the little things that make raising children so fun. :love

Well my kefir should be done in a few hours...I'm so excited!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Read the website and I gotta tell you, girls, it sounds positively............ :sick

What does it taste like? Anything like buttermilk? I love buttermilk but the thoughts of drinking fermented milk with brains(kefir) in it sounds like a nasty ride! :p :hide

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
To me it tastes like plain yogurt...something I've been making us wolf down every morning with a swirl of jam. So the change will be easy.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm going to make a new batch and just leave out some milk and see if there's any difference! I swear I'm not making anything more that sour milk..... :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What do your grains look like? How big are they?

I wonder if size matters here. Mine are the size of popped popcorn.

Yoohoo...ORChick, where are you?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
What do your grains look like? How big are they?

I wonder if size matters here. Mine are the size of popped popcorn.

Yoohoo...ORChick, where are you?
:frow I don't think size matters in this case. I have had big globs an inch or two in diameter, and also had little tiny grains. They grow over time, sometimes quicker, sometimes slower. Those I am using now were dehydrated a few months ago (the experiment prior to sending some on to free), and they are working just fine, but I haven't noted much growth recently. Free's, on the other hand, sound as though they are expanding to fill her kitchen. I can only think that they really like her fresh goat's milk :lol: As to how they look - well, *brains* isn't all that bad as descriptions go, but I liken the gains more to a bit of tapioca pudding - not sure if that sounds any more appetizing; personally I cannot stand tapioca pudding :lol:

edited for spelling

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ha-ha! Not that exciting, but they are expanding. It probably helped that I accidentally dropped them into a gallon of milk by mistake and then went away for a few days! Boy, were they happy! :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Mine were very small grains when I got them. Now most are a little smaller than popped popcorn. Some are more sheet like and weird.