KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did you get the beans yet? I am hoping they made it okay.. and wanted to know if you need info on the types I sent?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our post doesn't get here till later in the afternoon, and I don't always make it down to the postbox, so there should be a couple of days worth waiting. Thanks for letting me know they might be here; I'll make sure to check this morning, before it starts raining :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No worries I packed them well and they should be waterproof in the bags and padded envelope :)
and while I haven't changed the grains today the milk is almost solid today..

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I didn't make it down before the rain - it was already raining, unbeknownst to me, as I wrote earlier. But eventually I got down there and found the package; many, many thanks. They were beautifully packed, and seemed to take no harm from the wet weather. I especially look forward to the wax beans; not sure if it is a German thing or not, but DH has often expressed dismay that wax beans aren't often available here. The other two look very interesting; it will be fun to grow them out. Thanks so much for sending them.

As a side note: my knowledge of Michigan geography is minimal. My mother was born in Royal Oaks (I think), and my father's mother's father had a farm in Mason. My uncle lived in Lansing for many years. I visited my grandparents a few times in Grosse Point. Do you know any of those places? I'm a California girl, and really only visited on my way through to other places, to my shame. I am sorry that I didn't get to know my mother's family better.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH man I haven't changed the milk today! those grand kids keep me hopping! I know all of those places and been to most! Grosse point is where Bob Seger is from!(or maybe lincoln park?) and most of my family is from Lansing area.. Two streets in Lansing are named after my Great grandparents who immigrated here from Prussia/Germany back in the late late 1800's I did get to meet them both and was old enuf to really remember mine grousmooter.(spelling is wrong i'm sure cuz my German(deutch haha) is horrible and I've forgotten most) Balzer street and Balzer ave. He was a builder. and My one sister lived in Detroit and we passed thru Royal Oaks all the time. I live more near to Grand Rapids but not by much about half way between Lansing and grand rapids.
My grand mother loved wax beans and I have been growing them for about 5 years now. My mother of course hates them.. said that she had to eat them for too many years.
the Rattlesnake I've had about 4 or 5 years also and has rapidly become my favorite. I love them raw right off the fencing. you can taste how sweet they are and they make great green beans and the ones I leave for seed cook up creamy for soup or refried beans just like pintos.
the last ones I was sent in a trade and they don't climb as rampantly as the others but I didn't really like them for green beans but for cooking they are really good. They are supposed to be Anasazi beans from the Anasazi area. I've only gotten enuf for one pot of beans and they are very good.. I only got about 40 in a trade so I've been replanting them to get more than just seed stock. I skipped them last year but have enuf for a nice big crop this coming summer and plan on planting them out..
The only bummer on beans is that most of the pretty ones just cook up to a plain old color..
I had another that I was gonna send but the seed is about three years old and I wasn't sure of the life of them yet this year.. Cherokee Trail of Tears. a wonderful bean that is good for green beans and they dry great for dehydrated green beans for veggie soup and the big black beans cook up to a wonderful dark brown kidney shaped bean that goes well in chili.. and holds it's shape. if they do good I'll have fresh seed this fall. you just let me know if the others do well for ya and I'll makes sure that you get more.
To save seed from them I just separate them by about 20 feet on the fencing. so far I have had great luck with them staying pure.
I love pole beans.. I dont' have to bend over and dig thru the plants to find them..

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay I was slack and changed the milk on the grains this morning (day 4 ) and while it still smelt kinda bad.. there was also an underlying "cheese" smell.. almost a bit of buttery smell too. and the smaller grains are looking much better today and the one big one is really looking great!! I'm so excited about this!
The milk around them was solid tho! reminded me of soft tofu in texture. and it broke and had yellow whey around it when I dumped it to dig the grains out.
I can't wait for them to make kefir to try. :weee Yes.. I do take great joy out of little things!!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Okay I was slack and changed the milk on the grains this morning (day 4 ) and while it still smelt kinda bad.. there was also an underlying "cheese" smell.. almost a bit of buttery smell too. and the smaller grains are looking much better today and the one big one is really looking great!! I'm so excited about this!
The milk around them was solid tho! reminded me of soft tofu in texture. and it broke and had yellow whey around it when I dumped it to dig the grains out.
I can't wait for them to make kefir to try. :weee Yes.. I do take great joy out of little things!!!
You can try it at any time, so long as the smell/taste isn't off putting. It won't hurt you, even in the first stages; just, for me, it smells too awful to even contemplate drinking it when it is newly re-hydrating :rolleyes:. Mine is reacting more as it ought now; the smell isn't bad, and it is forming curds, though slowly. The chickens got the results this morning, along with some warm oatmeal. They love it! (Well, probably the oatmeal more than the kefir) Were I able to face a cold smoothie on these cool mornings I would drink some of it too. I'm really glad that the grains are doing their kefir thing for you, and so quickly.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
still smelt bad enuf to make me not wanna even taste it haha. But they are starting to look just like they are supposed to from all the descriptions and pictures online. almost like little clumps of milk pearls instead of dried clumps of sticky rice.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Some people liken them to little pieces of cauliflower; I think of them as firm little lumps of tapioca. Either way (or any other way) sounds like yours are doing as they ought.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay day 9 (I think) and the grains haven't really changed much except I may have been a bit rough with one of them cuz there are a couple little ones in there extra I know I started with 6 clumps and now there are 6 big ones and a couple bitty ones. but the milk has gone from smelling just icky to smelling like buttermilk or sour cream and the cat loved the little bit I took off the grains so I may start putting about a full cup of milk on them instead of the scant 1/2 and see what happens and what it tastes like. I must say that the little grains do make the 1/2 cup of milk almost solid over night!