KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm, I make kefir regularly, and I always put on a lid. I don't do it tight, but just before it gets snug. I tighten it to shake it up once in awhile, and then loosen it again. Never had a problem. I strain my grains with a strainer and a wooden spoon, scraping the strainer over and over until most of the liquid is strained out - I hold it over a canning funnel that is set on my quart jar.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ORChick. I strain my kefir through a nylon strainer so it's unlikely that I'm missing any of the grainss. According to the online kefir sites I'm doing everything "right" but....

It was kind of mind boggling that I went from having 1/2 a cup of the grains to having only a couple tablespoons....who knows...maybe the fridge gremlins too 'em, lol.

The ones I use on a daily basis are doing fine and they make great kefir, they're just not growing.

The milk hasn't changed that I cantell. I'm still using the raw milk from the same goat. Maybe it's because the weather is cooler now and I don't keep the house very warm... I dunno. I'm just grateful that I still have some. And, I think that if/when they do start multiplying that I'll dehydrate some like you suggest.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I just did the first change of milk. and I have to say that they have gotten softer and bigger and are losing that yellow color! YAY! I have a nylon strainer too for my Kombucha and the milk was too thick to go thru so I had to just fish them out with my fingers and put them in a clean jar with fresh milk. it even made the milk have tiny little clumps in it. so it must like the warm mantle. didn't really have much smell to it tho.
But I am only using cheap store bought milk till they plump and then I'll start getting the Mooville creamline again. Best milk in the area.
You say raw in this area people start acting like you want crack or meth.. sheesh.. it shouldn't be that way. :(

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Knittygritty - Because of the fermentation there is bound to be some pressure buildup in a tightly closed jar, but I don't think there is as much with kefir as there would be with, say, Sauerkraut. The fact that your jar lid isn't cranked all the way down is, apparently, all that is needed.

FEM - Could be the cold, as you say. Let us know how things are when the weather gets warmer.

Emerald - I have used all kinds of milk for kefir, from 1% storebought homogenized, pasteurized through to whole organic, though still homogenized, pasteurized. I even used UHT milk once, and that worked as well. Raw cows' milk is hard to find in Oregon, and I'm not sure of the legalities of it (I think I remember reading that you can only get it at the farm, and the farmer can't advertise, or something like that). I just recently learned of a farm in the area that sells cow shares - so now I own a (small) part of a cow, and that entitles me to a gallon of her milk a week.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've abused my kefir before. I can't remember what was going on, but it got forgotten on the counter for over a month. Much of it turned harder and yellow and it wouldn't grow when I tried to get it back up working. So I broke the bigger ones in half to expose the center. There was apparently some healthy part in there because it did start growing slow and I was eventually able to pull off the yellow bits.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Grandbabies went home and I can now give a giddy update on the kefir grains (sorry but it is very exciting to me lol ) day two the grains are so much bigger!!! and on bits and pieces of them they look white and kinda gelatinous!! and the milk was very thick! I almost tried the "rinse" the white bits off! I guess the grains love the mantle.. I'm glad that the little bittys like the well water(very hard) and the cheap milk.. Still not really smelling bad tho.. I'm sure that will come next or I've lost my sense of smell..
Ahh.. the things that us "Sufficient Self" gals get all giddy and excited over!!! :lol: you aught to see me at seed planting time! lol

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald, I am so pleased to hear that the kefir is responding for you. Since the coagulation of a couple of days ago mine have done just about nothing to prove that they are alive. Perhaps it is indeed your warm mantle. I think I need to seek out a warmer spot for mine. I am going to be very pleased --- and quite bummed out --- if yours do better than mine :lol:

I have been heating up some whey, and adding oat flakes to it for the chickens on these cold mornings. They love it! I'd like to give them kefir, but that isn't possible yet. The cats keep asking for it as well --- but that is just begging. They really don't want it if offered.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL my cat has been very displeased with me.. Since I caught her right after Thanksgiving licking the whipped cream off the top of my coffee when I went to the kitchen to get my spoon(and she looked at me and was like "What? I taste everything you drink mom" makes me want to make a commercial for that soap -you're not as clean as you think ;) ) she sees me with my coffee cup and just comes running to see if I will set it down so she can sneak a lick.. but I've been having horrible gastrointestinal problems( probably tmi folks) so I cut out almost all dairy and other things for a bit.. she is so disappointed.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay.. Day three of the kefir Kronicules! Well I must not have put enuf milk in there as I have just been covering them with milk in a little jelly jar(of which I have about 200 empty still haha be careful of what you ask for.. I asked for extra jars when I was starting canning and ended up with boxes and boxes of jars from family. and some of the most unique jelly jars ever) This morning the milk was solid! with yellow whey on the bottom! and boy.. whatta stink! lol reminded me almost of my stepdads favorite cheese! Limberger!
And the three bigger ones are looking so cool and right from all the photos on the web. The smaller bits are not as nice looking but I'm sure that they will be okay too.
I put about 1/2 cup on them today. Boychild said that it looked and smelled like baby barf. ;) cracked me up. At least he said he would still give it a go when it looks right.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yours seem to be coming back "on line" much faster than mine, though mine have also, once again, formed curds. The jar is parked right next to the dehydrator, which has been on the last few days, so it has been warmer than is general for this time of year in my kitchen. It is smelling rather like buttermilk now.
Your boy has a discerning nose, LOL. But yes, it should get better fairly soon.

Latest posts