keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Dinner was salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and gravy, brown rice & cranberry salad as a side, mixed red and green seedless grapes for dessert.

Brown Rice & Cranberry Salad

4 c cooked brown rice
1/2 c diced red onion
1 c diced celery
1/2 c dried cranberries
1 c grated carrot
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
1 - 2 T sugar
1/2 c sliced almonds

Combine rice, onion, celery, and cranberries in large bowl (or the pot the rice was cooked in). In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar and sugar. Pour over rice mixture and stir well to coat all ingredients. Stir in almonds. Serve.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
10/5/09

43 this morning when we got up. It rained all night long. Were supposed to reach 58 today and we have a 40% chance of rain and thunderstorms.

Yesterday while making room for some more stuff in the closet in our room, I found that one of the walls in this closet is really a false wall. It was rigged up with a piece of plywood so that Mr. Fix-It could have access to the hot water tank from inside the house. Unfortunately, the piece of plywood is not wide nor tall enough to fill the door space! Also, there is no way for it to stand up straight, and therefore, be closed at all times. This would explain the HUGE draft I feel all night long! :barnie

Yesterday afternoon, I tried to pull the plywood up and straight, without much luck. So after dh got home, he was able to straighten the board and got it standing straight. Then we cut some 4 mil plastic sheeting we have and stapled it over the doorway, so that the plastic is wider and longer than the hole in the wall. It was less drafty last night, so I hope it will be okay. I would love to put a quilt over it, but the electrical breaker boxes are right next to it; so Im not so sure that is a good idea. :idunno

DH is working today and I am winterizing more windows that dont open/close.

This morning was kind of rushed. This takes a story
At the customer service station in our local grocery, you can purchase some Waste Management garbage bags. I forget how much they are - maybe $1.50 or $2 each, but you have to buy a roll of them, so it cost about $12 or $15. Really, I don't know because dh bought them and didn't get a receipt. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the idea is that you use these 50# WM bags and you don't have to pay for a container and monthly service. You just contact the 800 number provided with the roll of bags and they come pick up the garbage at no other charge. To have a container delivered is $30 and then they charge $30 per month for garbage pick up, so we thought we would try this bag thing instead to save money.

I will say that this whole garbage thing just makes me crazy. At the farm we recycled and composted everything we could. Then about once a quarter, we would have some "stuff" that dh would burn with any tree limbs or branches found on the property. I think the bit of garbage that didn't fit one of these categories was small, because it took us two or three months to fill a large lawn and leaf trash bag.

I think the neighbors here burn their trash, as none of them appear to have compost areas, and none have garbage picked up. As I have mentioned before, our landlord doesn't want a compost pile on this property, and he wants the burn pit swept out with a rake and shovel when it is used. I think this must be a new rule, because the burn pit is filled with junk from the prior tenants. The landlord said he would clean it out when he comes to clean up the downed trees and limbs, so it hasnt happened yet.

We have been here a month and a half, and have filled two WM bags. A couple weeks ago, I called the 800 number and was told Monday is our pick up day and 4am is our pick up time. So last Sunday night we put the bags out front. But they werent picked up at all. So we call and were told they forgot to put us on the schedule because they couldnt find our street on their maps. Huh?! I know it is small (3 houses on a dead end lane), but they found it well enough to tell me the pick up day *and* time by our street name. :smack

So this time they tell us our pick up day and time is Monday at 8am. We are psyched! Our second bag is now *very* full instead of *just* full. :lol:

This morning dh is getting ready to take the garbage from the shed to the street when we can tell from the loud beeping noises that here comes the WM truck! It is 5:30am! :th The truck passes the house (we are the second to last house on a dead end street), then realizing he cant go forward, starts backing up and passes the house again. I hear dh yelling at the driver.

I look out the dining room window to see dh running with the two full bags towards the truck. This is all happening in the dark, because only our small porch light is on; no other lights are lit on our street. Even the WM truck lights are off. DH is wearing his dark blue scrubs, and he is running in the dark after the garbage truck, hoping he doesnt fall over something. The driver pulls forward again and stops the truck. DH says, wow, you are early!. The driver tells dh he isnt early, he was told our pick up time is 5:30am! :barnie

Im not sure well even have one bag filled by next Monday

Hows your day going?

ETA: I saw this in the headlines today More Americans Growing Food On HOBBY Farms (emphasis mine) as opposed to just trying to feed ourselves healthy food?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
keljonma said:
BeccaOH said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
I'm coming to your house to learn to make rugs!
I'm in! :D Those sound interesting. Do you do strips and braid them? I've always wanted to do braided rugs. I have a bag of old blue jeans, but I thought about doing a quilt. My cousins young daughter did her first quilt out of blue jean squares, and it was really nice.
Sounds like fun! I haven't made one in years - that one was from some old wool blankets. I lost it along the way somewhere. Yes, strips and braid.

The quilt sounds like fun too! And warm! :D
Becca, I found this site online yesterday. This woman (named Becca) actually crochets her rugs

http://newoldfashionedgal.wordpress.com/2007/11/14/how-to-make-beccas-jean-rag-rug/

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
keljonma said:
BeccaOH said:
I'm in! :D Those sound interesting. Do you do strips and braid them? I've always wanted to do braided rugs. I have a bag of old blue jeans, but I thought about doing a quilt. My cousins young daughter did her first quilt out of blue jean squares, and it was really nice.
Sounds like fun! I haven't made one in years - that one was from some old wool blankets. I lost it along the way somewhere. Yes, strips and braid.

The quilt sounds like fun too! And warm! :D
Becca, I found this site online yesterday. This woman (named Becca) actually crochets her rugs

http://newoldfashionedgal.wordpress.com/2007/11/14/how-to-make-beccas-jean-rag-rug/
I can't crochet :/

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
OK that's enough of this crocheting unless BeccaOH wants to knit me a snuggie. And what is this glutton free stuff? if Farmfresh avoids it, it must be bean free and will cook up a batch in my 55 gallon burn barrel next Tuesday when Whimpy stops over.