keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
keljonma said:
keljonma said:
Sounds like fun! I haven't made one in years - that one was from some old wool blankets. I lost it along the way somewhere. Yes, strips and braid.

The quilt sounds like fun too! And warm! :D
Becca, I found this site online yesterday. This woman (named Becca) actually crochets her rugs

http://newoldfashionedgal.wordpress.com/2007/11/14/how-to-make-beccas-jean-rag-rug/
I can't crochet :/
Just a thought. :) One is never too old to learn a new skill. :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
xpc said:
OK that's enough of this crocheting unless BeccaOH wants to knit me a snuggie. And what is this glutton free stuff? if Farmfresh avoids it, it must be bean free and will cook up a batch in my 55 gallon burn barrel next Tuesday when Whimpy stops over.
BeccaOH doesn't crochet, so no snuggie, I'm afraid. :D

Gluten is a type of protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. Some people have a sensitivity or total intolerance to gluten. So they look for gluten-free recipes.

Here is a good listing of food items that do not contain gluten.
http://www.drgourmet.com/gluten/pdf/nogluten.pdf

I'll gladly pay you Thursday... :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
keljonma said:
10/5/09

This morning was kind of rushed. This takes a story
At the customer service station in our local grocery, you can purchase some Waste Management garbage bags. I forget how much they are - maybe $1.50 or $2 each, but you have to buy a roll of them, so it cost about $12 or $15. Really, I don't know because dh bought them and didn't get a receipt. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the idea is that you use these 50# WM bags and you don't have to pay for a container and monthly service. You just contact the 800 number provided with the roll of bags and they come pick up the garbage at no other charge. To have a container delivered is $30 and then they charge $30 per month for garbage pick up, so we thought we would try this bag thing instead to save money.

I will say that this whole garbage thing just makes me crazy. At the farm we recycled and composted everything we could. Then about once a quarter, we would have some "stuff" that dh would burn with any tree limbs or branches found on the property. I think the bit of garbage that didn't fit one of these categories was small, because it took us two or three months to fill a large lawn and leaf trash bag.

I think the neighbors here burn their trash, as none of them appear to have compost areas, and none have garbage picked up. As I have mentioned before, our landlord doesn't want a compost pile on this property, and he wants the burn pit swept out with a rake and shovel when it is used. I think this must be a new rule, because the burn pit is filled with junk from the prior tenants. The landlord said he would clean it out when he comes to clean up the downed trees and limbs, so it hasnt happened yet.

We have been here a month and a half, and have filled two WM bags. A couple weeks ago, I called the 800 number and was told Monday is our pick up day and 4am is our pick up time. So last Sunday night we put the bags out front. But they werent picked up at all. So we call and were told they forgot to put us on the schedule because they couldnt find our street on their maps. Huh?! I know it is small (3 houses on a dead end lane), but they found it well enough to tell me the pick up day *and* time by our street name. :smack

So this time they tell us our pick up day and time is Monday at 8am. We are psyched! Our second bag is now *very* full instead of *just* full. :lol:

This morning dh is getting ready to take the garbage from the shed to the street when we can tell from the loud beeping noises that here comes the WM truck! It is 5:30am! :th The truck passes the house (we are the second to last house on a dead end street), then realizing he cant go forward, starts backing up and passes the house again. I hear dh yelling at the driver.

I look out the dining room window to see dh running with the two full bags towards the truck. This is all happening in the dark, because only our small porch light is on; no other lights are lit on our street. Even the WM truck lights are off. DH is wearing his dark blue scrubs, and he is running in the dark after the garbage truck, hoping he doesnt fall over something. The driver pulls forward again and stops the truck. DH says, wow, you are early!. The driver tells dh he isnt early, he was told our pick up time is 5:30am! :barnie
I enjoyed reading the WM bag story. :p
I use the bags, too. A few of our trash services use bags but WM has customers on our road and it made more sense to use an established route for my sporadic bags. My roll lasts 2 years because we recycle, burn or set out large stuff in the twice per year pick up.

The problem I have run into with the bags are finding them!
Giant Eagle used to carry them but got into some kind of altercation with WM and ceased. I made a trip to Geneva GE for the last roll. I went to Chardon to copy the phone number off the WM building because the 800# has no "local-gettin'-bags" info and I am on my last bag.

My road is a dead end and I have missed them only to stand and wait for the second pass. If I left those bags out all night they would be shredded and all over the drive and road. This I know from past experience, when I duct taped the bag back together and set it out again the next week. I paid for it and I'm stingy, I mean frugal.

Still, it saves me an unbelievable amount of money. :cool:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I enjoyed reading the WM bag story. :p
I use the bags, too. A few of our trash services use bags but WM has customers on our road and it made more sense to use an established route for my sporadic bags. My roll lasts 2 years because we recycle, burn or set out large stuff in the twice per year pick up.

The problem I have run into with the bags are finding them!
Giant Eagle used to carry them but got into some kind of altercation with WM and ceased. I made a trip to Geneva GE for the last roll. I went to Chardon to copy the phone number off the WM building because the 800# has no "local-gettin'-bags" info and I am on my last bag.

My road is a dead end and I have missed them only to stand and wait for the second pass. If I left those bags out all night they would be shredded and all over the drive and road. This I know from past experience, when I duct taped the bag back together and set it out again the next week. I paid for it and I'm stingy, I mean frugal.

Still, it saves me an unbelievable amount of money. :cool:
Sparkle Market in Andover carries them. I know there is a Sparkle Market in Orwell as well, but I am not sure if they carry the bags.

ETA: How are things with you, Sylvie? Your dh doing better? Got that sodium level worked out?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I was allergic to cows milk for my first couple years and had to drink goat squeezings which was utterly ridicules, all kidding aside (double pun) I see that they now have soy milk and didn't even know it had mammarys.

Sorry I typed glutton rather than gluten (freudian slip) The short list that keljonma provided would have to exclude a lot of good food, now I feel like hoof in mouth for being so crass, Farmfresh I am sorry for making light of your allergy - I too am not without fault as I am allergic to cats which precludes me from marriage of either gender.

Steering clear of breads and other mixed foods must be a daunting task, plus no beer, I weep for you. Seriously that can not be easy what you have to do and respect you fortitude.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I hear ya, xpc! I can't imagine ... We grew up eating bread with every dinner.

I'm lactose intolerant (the last 10 years) but I can get around it...thanks to great products like lact-aid. Make some cheese, eat cheese, eat lact-aid; buy some locally produced cheese, eat cheese, eat lact-aid. Can you tell that at our house, we sing the 'Cheese, Glorious Cheese' song?! :gig

Did you see all the beans that don't have gluten? ;) :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Did you see all the beans that don't have gluten? ;) :lol:
That's just Clint Eastwood mean.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Making Cheesy Egg Bake for dinner tonight. Quick and easy. I'm just about to put it in the oven and dh should be home from work soon.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Kel, that trash pickk up story is a doozey! You gotta wonder about people....I mean really can it be that hard to pin down a time to retrieve someones garbage?? Glad you got rid of it though, and glad to hear that your hubby did not get run over by the truck in the dark too!