keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
10/12/09 - Monday

We reached the predicted low temperature of 32 last night! I was looking at my journal from last autumn, and we didn't get this cold until 10/26/2008. :/

We had a great but busy week-end and the weather was absolutely perfect!

ServeFest was a great success! As I mentioned, many of the projects scheduled for the day will be continued through the year by the Home Missions team.

We had a 15 minute church service before starting our projects. The church was packed (we have about 400 members) and I heard that there was a good turn out at WOW2 at the biker bar as well.

There were 4 woman helping cut up apples, and 2 of the women were staying to work on the applesauce team. Because the teams making cookies and soups for meals were also using the stove, it was pretty crowded. We had two water bath canners on the stove as well. :lol:

We cooked some apples on the stove and some in one of the ovens. Pat and Sue lent their Victorio and Squeezo, so saucing went pretty quickly. As I mentioned earlier, the three of us processed 18 pints and 24 quarts of applesauce. We also froze 5 single pints to give to single person families. We used a great mix of apples - Melrose, Macintosh, Cortland, Honey Crisp, and Jonathon. We added no sugar and no spices. We ended up with a very beautiful pink sauce. :D We started at 9:15am and ended at 2:30pm, after clean-up.

DH worked with the ramp team since he is normally part of this project. In July of this year, I wrote about a person who had a multi-level deck they wanted to replace with tek-decking. They wanted to donate the wood to the ramp team, so the team disassembled the deck and put the wood in storage at the church. Yesterday, the ramp team removed the nails, and sorted through to remove the scrap. Then they pressure washed the good wood. They have enough good wood for 5 new ramps. The team also built a ramp at someones home and built some ramp sections. Their team did not get done until 5:30pm.

Pastor Meredith said they were able to completely scrape and paint the one house her team was working on. The homeowners provided the paint.

Pastor Josh said the banquet room (at the bar where WOW2 service is held on Sundays) was completely cleaned and Murphys Oil Soap applied to the wood tables and stools.

Greg and the junior and senior high Sunday classes put mulch on all the trails at the community park. I didnt get a chance to talk to many of the people who were on other projects.

The weather was a bit on the chilly side, so the chicken noodle soup, vegetable soup, and the two chilis (one meat free) went quickly. There were no sandwich makings or salads available by the end of the day either.

DH and I were both pretty tired by the end of the day, and dh was pretty soaked from the knees down (he forgot his knee high muck boots) from helping with the pressure washer job. We got home about 6:30pm and took it easy the rest of the night.

Today dh is back at work, and I have to straighten up the small bedroom, as it is a disaster area. I am sorting through to see what can be donated to Goodwill or Spiderweb.

I was going to see if I could find a way to cover the bathroom window today. It doesnt stay shut and it is in the shower stall! (This morning the bathroom was like ice, so we put a small heater in there to warm it up a bit. :D ) My staple gun, however, isnt functioning this morning. So I need to see if I can get it fixed. There is nowhere within walking distance that sells a replacement, and dh has the car, as his is still in the shop.

We have a busy week ahead - dh has mens meeting tomorrow night, and Wednesday night is our Back In The Box class, and dh is facilitating as Barb cant be there. I will be baking bread and goodies for the week/week-end and making some easy meals for dh to pop into the microwave. Then Friday I leave for Womens Koinonia week-end. I will be back home late Sunday night.

ETA: We reached 50 this afternoon, the sun has started to peak out and now we are getting a light drizzle. We were so cold and dreary this morning, I was afraid we wouldn't see the sun and have a chance to warm up a bit. :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We had baked butternut squash with butter and spaghetti squash with garlic and olive oil for dinner last night.

Yesterday I made cinnamon raisin bread and that is what we had for breakfast.

DS called last night to say his car is dying and costing more to keep running than it is worth. So he is looking for a new (to him) used car.

DD sent me an email saying Mrs. T's is giving people a $1 off coupon if they take a survey about pierogies. If you are interested, just go to Mrs. T's website: http://www.pierogies.com

44 this morning, 45 as of 11:30am. We are supposed to reach 48 today and there is a 20% chance of rain. So far, it is just a beautiful, though overcast, day.

I am listening to Truth For Life. Normally I listen to this program on Moody Radio, and it is one of my favorite programs. But today I am on the Truth For Life website listening to old broadcasts. http://www.truthforlife.org/site/PageServer

Alistair Begg is a Senior Pastor at Parkside Church in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Two of my sisters and I went to a Women's Conference there a year ago and had a wonderful experience. Parkside is a large non-denominational Bible-based church.

DH is working and has his men's meeting afterwards. The plan is to make sandwich bread today and more cookies. But I am still cleaning the disaster that is the small bedroom. :rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
DH just called me from work. His car has been at Brian's for over a week now. Brian said right now we owe him $20 for investigating and taking it apart to see what the problem is.

However, there is so much wrong with the car (master cylinder, brakes, brake lines, yada-yada) that it will cost about $400 to fix the car! :th The car is an 86 Plymouth Caravelle (a K-Car). The repairs are more than the car is worth.

DH said we will contact friend and see if he still wants this car back (I've talked about this before.) If not, we will sell for scrap.

So it looks like we will be down to one car for a while. I need to get a new battery for the camera, so we can start selling more "stuff". :rolleyes:

ETA: I listed the master cylinder, but dh said that was replaced a couple months ago. See how well I listened? :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ernie asked if you would give him a chance to look at the car before you give it back?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We owned a K car a while back for a short time. It was the first time I was chewed out by my favorite mechanic for not asking HIS opinion before my purchase.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
We owned a K car a while back for a short time. It was the first time I was chewed out by my favorite mechanic for not asking HIS opinion before my purchase.
We got it for free. It had 23k original miles on it. The original owner (friend's father-in-law) kept it in his garage - drove it once or twice a week thinking it would be a "classic" :lol: