keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I also had the same problem. Are bees also affected by too high of heat? We had such a hot summer here and I didn't seem to see as many in the garden or flowers?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I'm not sure heat is a real factor. There are many excellent beeks in the SW USA.

Honeybees keep the inside temp of the hive around 90F for healthy brood. However, they do need water and they fan the entrances to help ventilate if the heat get too high.

Our bee hives are in the sun until about 2 pm, when the hawthorn tree provides shade.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Froze another gallon bag of green beans.

We've gotten 6 eggplants, so this week-end I will be making ratatouille with eggplant, zucchini, onion, garlic...

Have yet to decide what to do with a a couple quarts of peaches. Maybe I'll freeze them.

And tomorrow after church I'll probably can some more tomatoes.

I have 3 heads of cabbage, 1/2 bushel of green peppers, a quart of hot banana peppers, and about 3 pounds of cukes to process as well.

Tomorrow I'm going to church at WOW at Roaming Shores with Pat and Ron, while TR is at work. I made 2 pizzas to take for the pot luck lunch afterward. Both have Herb Garlic crust, but one is plain tomato sauce with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on it. The other is packed with green pepper, carrot, onion, zucchini, tomato, banana pepper, pepper jack cheese, mozzarella cheese and Colby cheese.

Today I made sausage & sage cheese mini-muffins to take next door tonight for Ed and Betsy's annual summer's end gathering. Pat, Ron and Ed will be part of the music - probably bluegrass and oldies. :D

Have fun!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thanks, FF! It seems like forever since I have posted anything about food. :lol:

Anyway, I am working on a couple more cookbook compilations, so there is a possibility that the discussions about food will be in greater numbers soon, as testing goes full swing. :lol:

Temps hitting 90 this week and upper 60s at night. Sunshine and blue skies in the forecast! I need to get outside and get some bee stuff done AND I need to start doing some harvesting again.

I have been processing (dehydrating, wb canning and freezing) veggies all week-end. I still have about 1/2 a bushel of tomatoes to process, but some aren't quite ripe.

Starting tomorrow our library is cutting hours of operations due to budget cuts in OH. Open at 10am and close at 8pm on M, T & Th; W open at 1pm and close at 8pm; Friday open at 10am and close at 5pm; and Sat open at 1pm and close at 5pm. Our library is always closed on Sundays.

I was a bit concerned about the change in library hours because I now have these cookbook projects to complete. But yesterday my sister L said she has a laptop I can have so I don't have to worry about whether the library is open or not. There are a number of WIFI spots around besides the library, so I may be on SS a bit more as well. :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Our library has gone to 40 hours a week because of the budget cuts. Closed Sat, MWF 9-5, T Th 11-7.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Our library has gone to 40 hours a week because of the budget cuts. Closed Sat, MWF 9-5, T Th 11-7.
How are school kids and 9-5 career folk to make use of the library with those hours? Only thing I really use the library for is weekend Internet. :/

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wow, Pam, that is just awful!! I haven't seen the new hours for the other libraries in Ashtabula County yet, so not sure how the rest of the county is doing with this subject. I don't know how much library time you need - you might check some of the other libraries for their new times, just in case.

Unfortunately, with the 31% to 34% budget cuts (depending on the source I read), 2010/11 looks pretty bleak for libraries in the entire state of Ohio. :(

Thanks, Becca! I am already gathering and testing recipes. I pick up the laptop at my sister's this week-end during our family Labor Day gathering.

Today is the first day of the new library hours, so our library didn't open until 1 this afternoon. It's just after 6pm now, and the place is packed with kids...just like it was during summer vacation!! I even had to wait to get on a computer; which used to be unusual during a week night.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The weather is forecasting temps in the upper 80s until tomorrow, when they are supposed to be in the upper 70s and upper 60s through Labor Day. Unfortunately, thunderstorms are also in the forecast for the week-end! TR is off work Sat, Sun & Monday, so naturally it would rain.

Yesterday while TR was mowing the yard one of the handles on the mower snapped. So he duct taped it to a wooden dowel and hopefully that will work through the last bits of lawn mowing he expects to do this year.

Today I scalded and froze some eggplant slices, which I will use for eggplant Parmesan in future. I was going to make some salsa, but am completely out of onions until Friday (farm market day), so that will have to wait till the week-end I guess.

I dried some of the chamomile flowers and TR and I each had a cuppa chamomile tea last night. It was wonderful! :D

I may have mentioned this already - he can go down the 3 steps from the front door into the yard, but cannot make it back up the steps. He is still very interested in food, except when I gave him some ratatouille this past week .... he hates veggies! :lol:

Have fun!