keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Speaking of ministry programs - tomorrow is the second Christian Cafe of the year. I haven't talked to Carole (who runs the kitchen for this program), so I am not sure what the menu is for tomorrow. I guess I will find out when I show up there to help prep in the morning. I was told that during the last Christian Cafe there were 50 carry out meals and 145 people ate at the church. It is nice to know that this free meals ministry is available to people of the community.

TR has his board of trustees meeting tonight and I haven't finished the report for the stove research. :( So I guess the members will have to wait until February's meeting..... I am wondering how cranky they will get.

I planted some Bright Lights Swiss Chard in a small container today. I have my fingers crossed........ :D

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Christain Cafe sounds like a wonderful ministry. I'm sure there are many served in more ways than one these days. Our church doesn't offer that, but once a week the pantry is open to those that need it.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Laura, I decided to give the 4 Ladies a pet last night as they were roosting at dusk. And Bad Betty pecked my hand--hard. :p Rachel seemed to take the lovin' the best.

Snow has melted in patches, so my chickens are back to exploring outside. Not sure how much the Ladies have gone out yet.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Laura, I decided to give the 4 Ladies a pet last night as they were roosting at dusk. And Bad Betty pecked my hand--hard. :p Rachel seemed to take the lovin' the best.

Snow has melted in patches, so my chickens are back to exploring outside. Not sure how much the Ladies have gone out yet.
That sounds like Betty, Becca! I used to wait until she was practically asleep before I would pet her. When I sang the flock to sleep, I'd use each name. When I would get to Betty, she would open one eye as if to check to make sure I wasn't going to pet her good night. :lol: She is a funny girl.

Last winter Rachel decided to molt when we had a thaw. So when we got brutal weather again, the poor thing was half feathers and half porcupine quills. I hope she is having a better winter this year!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
It is snowing today and the sun is shining; the temps are in the 20s. I have the curtains open in the sun room and the plants are all getting a good dose of much needed sun. Titan was laying on the floor in the sun when we left home.

TR is home from work today. He scrubbed the walls again in the small bedroom upstairs this morning. We are pretty sure all the wallpaper paste is now off the walls and can do some painting. While TR was doing that, I cleaned the downstairs and made sugar cookies.

I didn't help or go to Christian Cafe yesterday, so I have no idea how the day went at church.

Tomorrow I clean the church kitchen. I am hoping to get another cupboard cleaned out, but it will depend on how bad the kitchen has been neglected since last Friday when I cleaned last.

TR and I signed up for a 1 night DVD session at church called BREATHE on Friday night. It is about our relationship with God. This is the first time our church is having a session like this. They are providing snacks and tea and coffee. It should be interesting and we are looking forward to attending.

This Saturday is our Experiencing God covenant group gathering. I haven't decided what I am going to make yet - maybe a coffee cake or bagels. It will be good to see the group, since we haven't seen some of them since Thanksgiving week. Teri, one of the members, is the one who let me gift TR with a violin at Christmas. So I am sure TR will be glad to see her and thank her for her kindness.

Today TR and I went to Walgreens because a number of items they had on sale were on the shopping list. So we got the deodorant we use for $1.49/each, limit 3. That is half price! :clap

Walgreens also had Bumble Bee tuna (in water) for 69 cents/can, so I got some of those as well.

Yesterday we had vegetable fried rice and some popcorn shrimp for dinner. The fried rice contained brown rice, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, cauliflower florets, scrambled eggs and some soy sauce.

I took a book out of the library (Curries) to find the cauliflower and green bean curry recipe I used to make. I had to take the book out of the library because I can't find my copy of the recipe at home. Woefully, there is still a lot of unpacking to do. Recently I've been in the mood for some Indian or Asian food. We have a Chinese restaurant in town, but nothing else "exotic". That is one thing I do miss about Tomball. We were 5 minutes away from a number of restaurants, including Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese. These days, we don't feel like spending the money when it is so easy to make most of it at home anyway. So I borrow a number of books from the library when I want to try something new.

One book I recently returned is called 400 Budget Recipes, which was pretty good and had a good selection of foods.

We found out this week that 3 of The Ladies died during our bit of harsh winter weather in December. I feel so bad for QA (who was trying to not to break our hearts) because she had to go through it to begin with. :hugs to you QA....

Take care!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yummy! I love curry. I have a can of coconut milk just waiting for the right recipe for make. Yum - I'd give anything for some wonderful curry.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Yummy! I love curry. I have a can of coconut milk just waiting for the right recipe for make. Yum - I'd give anything for some wonderful curry.
I will put them on the flash drive so I can post them. Yesterday we ate the Mixed Veggie Curry (cauliflower, green beans, peas, carrots, tomatoes). I didn't make it very spicy, because TR is not fond of really hot food. There wasn't much left over and TR took it to work with him for lunch.

I want to make a beef vindaloo (a med hot variety) this week-end.

I am making lemony muffins for Experiencing God get together tomorrow morning.

We have rain today and 40. We are supposed to reach 50 by tomorrow or Sunday. Snow and 20 is in the forecast for next week.

TR is working today and then off Sat & Sun. Then Monday he starts working nights.

Have a great week-end!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Saturday is supposed to be our nicest day! We're going to be out of town in the morning, but hopefully back earlier enough in the afternoon to still have some daylight so I can work on my hoophouse.

We're going to be in Youngstown on Tuesday for Ernie's pain management.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
What time is your appt? Do you need company?

You are welcome here anytime. Just show up. There is a small parking lot at the end of our drive, so plenty of room for your vehicle too. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
His appointment is at 8:15 am. I'm not sure how long it will take.

I'd love company if you're up to it. :lol: Haven't seen you in half of forever!