keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Snow and sleet have stopped, the sun is shining and we are actually in the 50s today; although our night time temps are still in the 30s.

Our apple trees have finally begun to blossom! We have noticed that there are many dead branches in the trees.

We have two weeping trees in the front yard that are just starting to get green buds. TR and I haven't been able to figure out what they are and haven't asked the landlord. But when we moved in, he said all the trees in the yard were fruit trees.

TR said he was sitting out on the swing a few days ago and noticed that there are some yellow jackets that have started nest building in the metal swing set frame where our porch swing is hanging. I guess I better get out the yellow jacket traps. I took them out and cleaned them a couple weeks ago, but forgot to hang them when we were getting ready for sis-in-law's visit.

I am suffering a bit from early NE Ohio spring depression (lack of sunshine, I guess), so spent most of the morning sitting in the sun room in the sunshine.

Today is TR's last day off for a while, as he goes back to days starting tomorrow. :(

I still haven't decided what to make for the international dinner for our couples group on the 24th. Most likely I will make a dessert or Argentinian Fruit Salad.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Trying to get back into the groove of day shift. :p

Nights in the 30s and days in the 50s. Heard on the radio that we are supposed to be back up into the 60s during the days the rest of the week.

Today was the home opener for the Cleveland Indians - AND it didn't even snow! :lol:

TR is sitting at the computer next to me watching YouTube videos on bee package installations. I think he is watching how not to do it....most of these people are running around with bees in their suits - or hair shirts (because they aren't wearing veils or bee jackets).

Wednesday we are going to start planting veg seeds for inside starting.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In the 50s during the day.... the weather report is calling for 80 by Friday! Now if it would just stick! ;)

TR is off work tomorrow. I haven't heard that QA is headed our way, so I guess we will start some seeds indoors (tomatoes, peppers, etc) instead and go out to lunch maybe.

Titan got his first shower of spring. He is already being bothered with fleas. :barnie He hates the blow dryer! :D

The twit who kept walking our yard to check out scrap metal has been at the landlords' place next door three times in the past two weeks. Of course, the landlords are never home, so I'm the only one who knows.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In the 60s today and we are getting rain. Hardly the 80 temps called for earlier this week. :( Temps are forecast to be in the 40s over the week-end.

Tonight we have a 1-session Bible study called SHE, which explores God's feminine side (my synopsis). Saturday we will be at the district workshop all day, and will miss our Beek Association Monthly meeting. :hit I am looking forward to the district workshop, but this will be the second year in a row that we have missed the Beek auction!

Catching up on some picture posting from Christmas around the place - since I finally figured out our camera program on the 'puter at home.... :lol:

My 2009 Christmas nativity

Nativity2009P1090001.jpg

Pastor Meredith's dh Neil made these in his wood shop for TR & I for Christmas 2009. Mine is the angel, TR's is the head of Jesus.

Christmas2009PC240007.jpg

Christmas2009PC240006.jpg

Chicken ornaments made by TR's cousin for us at Christmas.

Christmas2009PC240005.jpg

Buzzards .... There are about a dozen of them that hang out around our place.

This is the fence post behind our landlord's house...

OutintheyardApril152010P4150005.jpg

This is the barn behind our place.

BuzzardsP4120015.jpg

Lilac on the north west side of the house

OutintheyardApril152010P4150016.jpg

Lilac on the north east side of the house - that is our back porch. I have the door to the mud room open.

OutintheyardApril152010P4150007.jpg

Blossoms on one of the fruit trees. We have plum, pear, sour cherry, and apple trees.

OutintheyardApril152010P4150018.jpg

I think this is a Hawthorn, but the landlord thinks a fruit tree.

OutintheyardApril152010P4150009.jpg

I just transplanted Lavender and Rosemary. I am thinking of converting this child's swing into a planter...

OutintheyardApril152010P4150008.jpg

Edited for typos.....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
45 today and rain at home. This morning we heard that it snowed a bit while we were at the church district conference, but it didn't stick. We just got back and TR wanted to stop at the library on the way home to check emails.

Haven't heard from the bee guy yet, but bees are tentatively scheduled for us to pick up this week. Pray we have good weather for it, as it is a 2 hour drive for us. :D

Heard lots of good ideas for prayer ministry and my brain is whirling with all the ideas I need to write down once I get home.

Have a great week-end!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
40 this morning and we finally reached 67 this afternoon. The sun is just gorgeous!

TR is off work tomorrow and we are hoping the bee guy will call to say "come get'em!" :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Kel you pics are lovely. That old barn looks a little creepy and mysterious!

Your temps still look pretty chilly form where I sit!

Hope all is well with you and TR :hugs

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Cheesecake Ice Cream Recipe

According to the cookbook this recipe came from, there is so much butterfat in this frozen dessert that it will never freeze solid; instead its consistency remains soft and creamy. That may be true if you leave it in the freezer for the 5 to 6 hours they recommend; but an overnight freeze left ours completely solid!

Instead of the red wine, we served it topped with fresh strawberries and freshly whipped slightly sweetened heavy cream. :drool

Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Freeze Time: 5 to 6 hours

4 egg yolks
6 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups milk
Peeled rind of 1/2 a lemon
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 pound fresh strawberries, hulled & larger ones cut up
6 Tablespoons red wine, optional

Combine the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl with 1/4 cup of the milk. Place the remaining milk and the lemon rind in a saucepan over low heat and heat slowly until hot. Stir about 1/4 cup of hot milk into the egg yolk mixture. Return the mixture to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Remove the lemon peel.

Add the cream cheese, whisking until smooth. Beat the cream until soft peaks form. Whisk into the custard.

Pack the mixture firmly into a deep, 1 1/2 pint glass or plastic container. Cover tightly and freeze for 5 to 6 hours, until firm.

Scoop the ice cream into balls with an ice cream scoop and store in a covered container in the freezer.

Serve the ice cream scoops in dessert glasses with the strawberries and, if desired, a tablespoon of red wine pour over each serving.
I found heavy whipping cream...would this work or should I get half and half? Or something else?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Dace, that barn is kinda creepy and the buzzards on top sure don't help! :lol:

Delia, heavy whipping cream is what you want. :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
RAINED all week-end! Temps in the 50s during the day, but in the low 30s at night. We are still getting freeze and frost warnings! BRRR! :lol:

TR is off work today and then works for 3 days before his vacation starts (7 days off). We can't afford to go to Texas to visit the kids and grands. :hit So we will have to do something around the place.

The landlord and his wife keep asking when we are bringing The Ladies home.... and last week they said they knew of a family that just got rid of their chickens and have a hen house and fencing to get moved off their property. The landlord is checking it out for us and hopefully we will hear soon. TR would like to get it set up and sanitized while he is on vacation... or we will see if we can get something built that week.

No bees yet - thankfully - since the weather has been absolute crap! At least the sun is shining today, but we have 25 mph winds and the high temp is 48!

The sun room is filling with seedlings. Traditionally strawberries are planted in this area around May 1st. But with freeze predicted for the next 3 or 4 days, I am not sure we should plant this week-end. We will just have to wait. We re-covered the blueberry bush with oak leaves hoping that they will help keep the plant from freezing. Of course, it survived all winter in the planter pot that the former tenants bought it in, so it should be okay.

The lilacs are starting to bloom. The fruit trees are in bloom - and the place looks prettier. The two weeping mulberry trees have just started leafing out.

We haven't been at the library since last week, so I have spent the last 2 hours going through emails to clear out my inbox. :/ I guess I need to get a move on and do something fun!

Have fun!