keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It's been a while since I stopped by your Front Porch ;)
Sure sounds like you been having some crappy weather. I hope you get lots of sunshine. We got rain here today, it is so gloomy. I figure if we have rain, I hope at least my friends have nice sunshine ;)

I loved your pictures. That barn is creepy looking especially with the buzzards on the roof. :lol:

Go do something fun :)

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
The landlord and his wife keep asking when we are bringing The Ladies home.... and last week they said they knew of a family that just got rid of their chickens and have a hen house and fencing to get moved off their property. The landlord is checking it out for us and hopefully we will hear soon. TR would like to get it set up and sanitized while he is on vacation... or we will see if we can get something built that week.
That would be awesome for you. I have caught Hannah on the nest, and I believe at least 3 of the 4 are laying by the egg count I'm getting from that coop.

Gotta watch Hannah, though, she is a late night roamer. ;) She seems always to be the last to go to roost when I'm ready to lock up for the night. :rolleyes:

Since you've lost your roo and a few ladies, let me know if you want a roo, a hen, or any chicks from me. I can set you up. You haven't covered all the presidential names yet. :D

BTW: QA is currently relying on the library too as her computer has a virus.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
keljonma said:
The landlord and his wife keep asking when we are bringing The Ladies home.... and last week they said they knew of a family that just got rid of their chickens and have a hen house and fencing to get moved off their property. The landlord is checking it out for us and hopefully we will hear soon. TR would like to get it set up and sanitized while he is on vacation... or we will see if we can get something built that week.
That would be awesome for you. I have caught Hannah on the nest, and I believe at least 3 of the 4 are laying by the egg count I'm getting from that coop.

Gotta watch Hannah, though, she is a late night roamer. ;) She seems always to be the last to go to roost when I'm ready to lock up for the night. :rolleyes:

Since you've lost your roo and a few ladies, let me know if you want a roo, a hen, or any chicks from me. I can set you up. You haven't covered all the presidential names yet. :D

BTW: QA is currently relying on the library too as her computer has a virus.
That Hannah! A pretty bird and a mind of her own. She is good at being last in...she was the last one to get on the load headed south last August. TR and I took turns searching the farmyard and back pasture for her for about 45 minutes before I found her hiding in the hay field. :p

Thanks for the offer, Becca! We will think on that and let you know. ;)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
It's been a while since I stopped by your Front Porch. I loved your pictures. That barn is creepy looking especially with the buzzards on the roof. lol
Denise - glad you stopped by! I will have to get some more pics of the outbuildings - they all are a mess. It is amazing that the weight of the buzzards doesn't bring the roof down! :lol:

TR was turning sod in the garden yesterday - and found we have ALL clay. It will take quite a bit of work to improve the soil, and are thinking we might just do raised beds.

The landlord said TR can use the tractor tiller for the garden this year, but we are still getting freeze/frost at night, so we haven't even started planting anything outdoors yet.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We are fascinated too, Lori! :lol: The most we have seen on the barn at one time is 12.

It is funny to watch them. They walk the top of the barn roof like chickens on a roost; the others think that the one on the end always has the best spot. So they all start walking towards the end and the last one on gets pushed off and has to fly to the end of the queue! :lol:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The temp was 31 when we got up this morning. But we are in the mid 60s and sunny as of noon today! There is barely any wind, so the day is quite nice.

Rumor has it that we might see some temps in the 80s this week-end! TR is psyched as Saturday starts his vacation!!

A couple from church (Brenda and Bob) went to the site of their honeymoon in the Dominican Republic to celebrate their 5th wedding anniversary. This was a second marriage for both, (both had horrible 1st marriages), so they go back to DR every year to celebrate finding each other.

Anyway, we heard yesterday that there was a freak traffic accident late Tuesday night between their tour bus and a jeep, and Bob was killed. He was 57. Brenda is pretty beat up and lost skin and some muscle above the elbow on one of her arms and is currently in a wheelchair, but I think that is because of all the meds she is on right now.

Pastor Meredith picked Brenda up at the Pittsburgh airport yesterday and today Brenda is working with a local funeral home to bring Bob's body home. Brenda's adult children and Bob's adult children and their grandkids are making their way back to NE Ohio.

One of the people in the jeep was also killed; I believe that person was a DR native.

Please keep them all in your prayers.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Oh, Kel, that is soo sad about Brenda and Bob. It must be heart breaking for you too. :hugs

It is so nice that you have your folks from church to support each other.

Looks like we have almost the same weather today. It is very unusual for us to have frost this late. We are having some strong wind gusts today. We had some damage to a few of our plants, but fortunately most of our plants are still in the green house or we brought them in the patio last night.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thanks, Denise and MR. We are all in shock, I guess. I called my sister in Kirtland, as she is a member of the Curves that Brenda owns. Then I called TR's sis in NY yesterday to tell her. Her dh worked with Bob in NY.

As for weather, this has been a strange year - so hopefully spring will arrive soon!