Kia ora from Kiwi-land

Meg Bolton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Kia Ora,
I'm Meg, I live in New Zealand with my mother and grandmother. We are trying to be more self-sufficient on our little 1/2 acre lot, and so are really keen to learn more about ways we can homestead and live sufficiently on a little bit of land and a lot of passion.
Can't wait to start learning!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi Meg! :frow

Welcome from Texas! Good to have you here. What are you main interests? Can't wait to follow your journey.

Meg Bolton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm trying to get as close to zero waste as possible, really focusing on getting the most out of our garden as I can at the moment.
The next thing I'm hoping to look into is how to recycle water. It's summer at the moment in New Zealand, and we're having some shortages, so I'd really like to get some grey-water infrastructure up and going, and consequently am also looking into cleaning products that I can make that won't kill my garden if they're in the water.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you! I could use your weather right about now... It's awful cold here in New Hampshire, lol!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
welcome from Texas, Meg.

This is a great site.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome from even wetter Ireland! I was just thinking about water shortages, after reading about the crisis in my native South Africa. We used to run grey water into the vegetable garden when I lived there. It is absolutely amazing how much water we go through in a household and how big a vegetable patch you can water with that!

You will find some discussions on homemade cleaning products in this section here: https://www.sufficientself.com/forums/homemade-products.15/ But we won't mind if you start a new thread and ask for suggestions, recipes, tips etc :)