Killer Compost/Murderous Mulch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I am always happy to find weeds in hay -- for this reason.

Some hay fields here on the E coast do not get sprayed because the type grass used -- which grows well & dries well with humidity issues -- generally gets thick and chokes out most weeds. Thus, some herbicides not needed, esp if an older field. I stopped use of pasture sprays over 14 years ago. Now, hay can bring an amount into manure. It's almost impossible to be 100%.

Any bedding I use is generally shavings. And, that would be my choice for mulch, at this point. My chickens are free range but cooped at night and while they eat grass, rarely any hay, I consider that manure to be the safer for a garden and a little goes a long way. I use only shavings in their coops. Yes, the grass could have some contamination but not as much. Really, I don't use a lot of hay anymore....lot of feed with beet pulp. So maybe the BP is contaminated? :idunno

Darned chemical people!!!!:sick

I'm gonna check bean seeds -- just to check it out! Judging from the WEEDS in my fields, it can't be very saturated. Maybe I will just put the horse or goat manure on the plant to see if THAT is an issue. Seems we are always challenged.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Has it got to do with planting the same plants in the same place or why does it happen?
Nothing to do with planting the garden. The hay that I bought had been sprayed with a herbicide while it was growing to kill weeds. I used that hay to mulch the garden and the herbicides leached out of the hay and into the soil contaminating it and killing the garden.

The same herbicide passes right through the animals digestive tract and comes out in the manure. So, if you use that manure in your compost - you're getting another dose of the herbicide in your garden.

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i have a neighbor who talks to me about 'cold compost', he got me so riled up that i had to try it. but my space is much smaller than yours. i've been reading about compost tea brewers. it's pretty complicated, but i think i may try this.
has anybody had any experience with these? o_O

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since this is a thread about gardening, mulch, etc.... I'm going to throw this out there because it is something I've done in past and will do THIS year. It came up because Mother Earth News had a little article on my email today, reminding me to share for anyone not already doing this OR just not thinking "Spring Garden" yet. Many of us do this already but, begin the save.

Those multiple feed bags we get each week -- reuse them! The make a clean mulch and/or walk way cover, even to just warm up the rows. Now, they don't all decompose well, so cleanup can be a PIA unless you yank them out when the crop goes, then replace. At my farm there is a never ending supply!! So, trash bags and compost bags even....yep, shovel it in & lay in the sun. Breaks down and pretty easy to move & dump if not left tooooo long.

If you need a visual, here's a link http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/weve-got-it-in-the-bag-feed-bag-that-is-zbcz1701?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have used feed bags before also. Made a big mistake when I used the poly/woven ones. Sun broke them down in a season and they left those long woven 'threads' all over the garden.... don't try that one! But, I'm going to a feed store now that only uses paper sacks. I need to start saving them again because they do work fairly well. In fact I've used them in conjunction with the hay. Put the sacks down and cover with hay cuz I just think the hay looks nicer than the sacks being exposed. Can't do that anymore until I get a new source of hay. I think if I can find a source - I'll use wood chips. My neighbor occasionally works a weekend with his cousin who has a tree business. If I could get a couple trailer loads of chips that would be a nice BONUS!

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wood shavings are awesome mulch - the finer the better. Straight sawdust if you can get it! I put it down on my asparagus seedling garden and don't have to weed all year!