Killer Compost/Murderous Mulch

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dug roots out for a bunch of people in my state's chicken group one year and took them to a show for pickup. That knocked down a bunch of it for a while. 3 years later it's come back nearly as big from where I just wacked the roots off.

The bees love the flowers. They are always covered when blooming. Bees don't bother me and I don't bother them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reading that bees love it was one of the things that made me go ahead and order it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@chefsdreams you reminded me of something from my childhood now (I started a thread on childhood memories yesterday btw, I tagged you over there) We had a compost heap in a corner of the backyard, though I don't recall my dad ever using the compost, it was just a place to dump garden waste and a wonderful place to explore and discover things like these…

View attachment 2127 View attachment 2128

I can still remember how those worms scared me!

Just a little butter in a fry pan and those would be some serious eats

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew - almost made a mistake tonight. We're about to get cold and I've got some young plants set out. Broccoli, cabbages and carrots. (Not much but better than nothing.) My plan was to bring a big ol' stack of hay up to the raised beds and have it ready to put over the plants for the couple of nights that we're gonna get cold. I know, I know it's really probably not going to be cold enough to really NEED to cover them but I wanted to get ready ' justincase.'

I went to a round bale that the goats haven't been eating much of and filled a garden cart with it and got ready to take it to the garden bed area when I remembered. I remembered that this is the ONE bale that I have that was sprayed with an herbicide. I don't think that covering those plants with bad hay would kill 'em in just a night or two - but ya know what? I'm not taking any chances.