kitty question!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd try putting the cat in a quiet room and setting up all her needs in there, her own box, bowl in a secluded place for food and water, bed in an interesting but hidden spot. Put some cardboard boxes on their sides in there and put a towel inside, that kind of thing. Let her be in that room alone a lot. Give her attention but on her terms. I would see if that helps, that is what I'd do to try to destress a cat, but my house is full of animals and teenagers and commotion, so that is how I'd improve the kitty environment. You probably know better yourself how to make it a happier place for your cat.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Late to the party, but when we adopted our second cat 3 years ago we experienced much the same thing. In fact, he often couldn't make it to the litter box and ended up ruining my daughter's mattress.

The vet put him on FortiFlora and within a couple of months he was healthy again. We also feed our cats all natural "Wellness" brand dry cat food, and once a week they each get half a small can of "almo nature" brand canned cat food. (They both prefer the dry food, but enjoy an occasional wet food treat--if we try to give it to them more often they don't eat it.)

Hope Pudding is better soon, sounds like she's found a wonderful new home!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, and since our cats don't eat wet food every day it was difficult to find a method to get the FortiFlora into him--we resorted to a plastic medicine squirter syringe and mixing the packet with warm water, then my husband would kneel on the kitchen floor and wrestle the cat between his legs, and squirt the solution into his mouth as he held his head. It was entertaining every evening, but he eventually got used to it and would more or less (you know cats) submit to the procedure.

He is the absolutely mushiest of cats and I think he knew that we were doing it because we loved him so he trusted us, as we had just brought him to a safe new home. He's all curled up beside me at the moment fast asleep, healthy as can be. :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Moolie there are these products now called pill pockets and they make pilling a cat or giving it medicine a snap. I'm not sure what is in them but you can put a pill or mix a powder into them and cats gobble it up. I'd try to blend the forti flora into a few of them! They are made by Greenies company. We mix up all kinds of yucky medicine into them at the boarding clinic where I work, much easier than forcing medicine on a cat. Keeps ya from getting scratched! They think you are giving them a treat.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have to remember that if we ever have to give either cat anything again!

He actually didn't mind too much, he is such a lovey mushball that he thrives on attention, plus he always got extra cuddles afterward.