kitty question!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
has she been checked/ treated for worms?
If she is outside and eats something dead / dirt where something dead has been she could have an overload of bacteria, especially as a baby. Yogurt, bland diet will help some.

eating plastic/ string and such can cause intestinal blockage resulting in either a very painful, lengthy death or a very expensive vet bill, so I would be really careful to watch her there.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my kitties had loose bloody stools as a kitten. He was also the one with a rubber/elastic fetish and would steal, play with, then eat rubber bands or hair bands if he could. The vet tested himrepeatedly and never could identify the problem.

I started giving him about a tablespoon of plain, unflavored cultured yogurt 1 - 2 x a day and it cleared up after a couple of months. He had to have yogurt maintenance for about 6 more months, but no recurrence since then (I thought there was once but it turned out to be the dog).

I know a bit different, but I'd try the yogurt as everyone suggested. Hope kitty is better soon!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
change her food. our Nicholas was the same way - the food we were using really bothered him. we switched cat food and it totally fixed him up. change to a different brand and see what happens. sometimes it takes a couple weeks but we saw really fast results.

good luck!
:)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Coccidiosis is a really, really common cause of loose stools in kittens. Or worms. I'd have a fecal done if at all possible.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yeah - Coccidia is a nasty little bug, and Giardia is another. It's extremely unlikely to cure either with home remedies and Giardia in particular is a nasty one that people can get. And if you're not worried about worms, remember that people can get them.... imagine a roundworm coming out of your eyesocket. Gross? :sick

Then get to the vet for a fecal first before you get yourself/family/other pets sick too!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
abifae said:
Had a fecal done. No worms.
When was this -- had the soft stools already been present for some reasonable while, or was it before or in the early stages?

Giardia wouldn't show up on a fecal float, it requires a separate test (which often needs to be repeated several times because the organism doesn't show up reliably, or some vets will suggest just treating with metronidazole without doing lotsa testing if giardia seems likely)

I'm not meaning to bug you about it, it's just that these things are really common in kittens and there is not a whole lot that home remedies will do, and they can *really* run a kitten down over time.

Note btw that while toxoplasmosis and giardia are transmissible from cats to humans, coccidiosis (well I mean besides toxoplasmosis which is actually caused by a species of coccidia) IS NOT transmissible to humans, the species are too host-specific to cross-infect.

I agree with the previous posters that it is also worth trying a different food. ASK at the petfood store, they often have sample-sized bags for free or for cheap. Sometimes logic alone is not a good guide to what a sensitive-innards type animal will do well on... my Mo cat falls all apart on anything other than Hills Prescription Diet d/d which is duck and green-pea based. I am not impressed with its ingredients on a theoretical basis, plus which, duck and green pea??? :p, but we have tried a LOT of different foods and this is the only one that works for him.

Good luck, pat the kitty for me :),

Pat