Knit/Crochet Winter Wear - share your pics

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are different methods of knitting... Pick the yarn, or throw the yarn... and that Spanish method where the yarn is held/keeps tension by being passed through a pin on your chest....

Some of the methods are kinder to your fingers.

If you knit more "gently" and with more relaxed fingers.... it can be easier on the arthritis.

Also... circular needles... or different size needles and yarn can reduce the amount of weight that your hands must hold.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always use circular needles because the straight needles are terribly uncomfortable. Hoping to learn Continental knitting, I’ve heard it’s easier on the hands! I’m a thrower! That’s English knitting? I think? I haven’t heard of that Spanish one though, going to have to look on YouTube for that one!

Part of my current issue is I spin finer than I can comfortably knit. Next time I’ll do 3 ply instead of 2, it may help a little.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always use circular needles because the straight needles are terribly uncomfortable. Hoping to learn Continental knitting, I’ve heard it’s easier on the hands! I’m a thrower! That’s English knitting? I think? I haven’t heard of that Spanish one though, going to have to look on YouTube for that one!

Part of my current issue is I spin finer than I can comfortably knit. Next time I’ll do 3 ply instead of 2, it may help a little.
Or hold the thin yarn double.... you can do it that way.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
trigger finger is one of the things that surgery can help. i have a mild case of it at times but i've not gotten to the point where i want to see a doc about it yet. someday i might.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
trigger finger is one of the things that surgery can help. i have a mild case of it at times but i've not gotten to the point where i want to see a doc about it yet. someday i might.
Like you, @flowerbug I am avoiding surgery as long as possible. I have a few exercises taught me by a therapist that help loosen things up, and I wear a finger compression tube at night to keep swelling down. Mostly it doesn't bother me much these days, as long as I avoid a marathon knitting session. An hour or so is best, but it's so hard to put it down when you don't see much progress in that hour.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Like you, @flowerbug I am avoiding surgery as long as possible. I have a few exercises taught me by a therapist that help loosen things up, and I wear a finger compression tube at night to keep swelling down. Mostly it doesn't bother me much these days, as long as I avoid a marathon knitting session. An hour or so is best, but it's so hard to put it down when you don't see much progress in that hour.

it kicks in mostly after a long bean shelling session. i really enjoy shelling beans one pod at a time so i'm pretty much doing it to myself. now that the shelling season is well past i don't have any issues at all. if it gets annoying i'll have to switch to other methods of bean shelling. i'm sure i can come up with some that will do. for bigger amounts there are pillow cases and such. it's just that i really do like the tactile and visual aspects of shelling by hand so much that i'm not ready to switch yet.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Anyone?
Screenshot_20221011-184817_Facebook.jpg

Latest posts