Kombucha Tea - gave it a taste

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I just fold the scoby up and put it in a glass canning jar and fill it with filtered water. Learn from my mistakes, mark a date on the jar and replace it with a fresh one now and then (monthly? Don't know.) You will have plenty, as you now know!
I did use a crock with a spigot, and you know those thready, filmy things in the finished kombucha? They will lodge in the spigot and clog it ultimately, and will be all but impossible to clean out. I went back to using my gallon glass jars!
Do you keep this in the fridge or on the counter?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Delia....if you are suspending brewing, keep the scoby in filtered water in the frig. If you are brewing keep it on the counter.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Dace said:
Delia....if you are suspending brewing, keep the scoby in filtered water in the frig. If you are brewing keep it on the counter.
I am planning to take the original and give it to my DD, but I dont see her till Thursday. So I put it in jar with filtered water and in fridge?:hide

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well I should let someone else give you an answer but if It were me I would probably leave it in some tea and pop it in the frig, that was how BBH shipped me mine.

Hopefully someone smarter than me will come a long and give a better answer.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Dace said:
Well I should let someone else give you an answer but if It were me I would probably leave it in some tea and pop it in the frig, that was how BBH shipped me mine.

I will take your answer Dace, lol! I know mine survived shipping and then sitting on my counter a day or two..I am still at the stage where I am afraid I might kill it...:rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
Dace said:

I will take your answer Dace, lol! I know mine survived shipping and then sitting on my counter a day or two..I am still at the stage where I am afraid I might kill it...:rolleyes:
Well, I'm not smarter... I think you should "feed" it some fresh tea and sugar as Dace said. I think putting it in the fridge will slow the process down a bit.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
So fresh tea and sugar? Ok I am making my next batch now. I had maybe 3 cups of tea left from the first batch..this stuff is awesome! I love it, I drink it as often as I can.....my DD is excited to get hers going! I cannot thank you enough BBH for sending me my starter...and Dace for always taking time to answer questions. BBH and Dace, thanks for not being impatient with me.:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
So fresh tea and sugar? Ok I am making my next batch now. I had maybe 3 cups of tea left from the first batch..this stuff is awesome! I love it, I drink it as often as I can.....my DD is excited to get hers going! I cannot thank you enough BBH for sending me my starter...and Dace for always taking time to answer questions. BBH and Dace, thanks for not being impatient with me.:)
I almost forgot!! Add a bit of your starter tea too. :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Trust me delia...there are many other here who have very patiently answered all of our questions, so we owe lots of paybacks!

I love my tea too!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Do you guys just keep filling the same jar, or do you wash the jar. I've been making this for a while now, and keep reusing the same jar. I leave the scoby in it and add more sweet tea. What do you do?

Latest posts