Kombucha Tea

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made Kombucha tea from a start that someone gave me. Its really good and good for you!
Anyone ever try it?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I'm making it, but having a hard time getting it fizzy. It is good, flavored with fresh ginger, pretty much like the Synergy drinks from the health food store, but I haven't mastered effervescence yet.

RainyJane

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've been making Kombucha for a 6 months. I made my own scoby from store bought. Mine has stalled and I'm a little upset. I MISS MY 3 BOTTLES A WEEK!!!! :hit

Mine comes out tasting like apple cider vinegar and really sweet- I don't know if that is normal. We flavor in with some sort of sweet fruit (favorites so far is pear/cinnamon and strawberry/ginger). However we have the problem of it not being refreshing- maybe I should try diluting it?

But back to the carbonation question that started the post, I've heard that you should try individual glass bottles, bottle and leave out for a few days THEN put it in the fridge to chill. I do not use air tight bottles so I'm not that concerned about fizz.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Yes, I'm making it, but having a hard time getting it fizzy. It is good, flavored with fresh ginger, pretty much like the Synergy drinks from the health food store, but I haven't mastered effervescence yet.
I use swing top bottles that hubs bought me to make home made rootbeer-after the kombucha gets to the point I like it I put it in the bottles with about a tablespoon of fruit or juice or ginger or even just a bit of sugar and put the top on and leave out for at least 24 in the summer to 3 to 4 days in the winter and then I put itin the fridge and drink it.. but beware-pineapple and ginger both can erupt out of the bottle like a fine champagne. the swing top bottles will release pressure so that it doesn't explode the bottles but yet retain enuf to make it nice and fizzy. Like GT Daves bottled kombucha.

RainyJane

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We've been adding fruit/spices to the jar (after starting the scoby in a new batch) and sealing it. Then we bottle it 5ish days later. Should we just bottle it and skip the fruit in the jar?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
RainyJane said:
We've been adding fruit/spices to the jar (after starting the scoby in a new batch) and sealing it. Then we bottle it 5ish days later. Should we just bottle it and skip the fruit in the jar?
I put the fruit in the bottles then add the kombucha to it. but making a big batch shouldn't make that big of a difference.. maybe less fizz or take longer to fizz..

RainyJane

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm planning on trying the "sit out for 24 hours before chilling" approach when I bottle this week. :)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been making Kombucha for about 10 years now. I started my own SCOBY from store-bought Kombucha in 2003 and I still use the original SCOBY. Several times over the years I have cut chunks off for friends to start their own Kombucha.

BUT lately I have noticed an off flavor, kind of bitter, and it seems to be getting worse as the weeks go by. I may have to start over and make a new SCOBY. I use 80% organic black tea and 20% organic green tea in my mix and it seems to taste the best for me (well, until lately). Once in a while I mix a little grape juice or raw honey into my glass in the morning but I usually drink it straight. I usually drink about 4 oz. each morning and it seems to help my digestion throughout the day as well as keeping my bowels regular.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, I have been meaning to start doing this. Thanks for all the info you guys have. A friend of mine is really, really into this, and gives classes on it There does seem to be good information on how it improves health. The raw honey sounds like a great addition. Good to know about the swing-top bottles. I keep the 40oz screw top glass beer bottles and use those for high-pressure liquids, like more beer! :)