ksalvagno's farm journal - Time for change

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Can't wait to follow along! I love the barn pics, and the kids are too cute! Can't wait to see some crias too! :love

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hurray! Thank you! I love the lidded storage container... This is going to be so fun :clap.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! We love the barn too. Luckily we had enough experience with the alpacas that we were able to build the barn so it really suited our needs. I also can thank the alpacas for the barn.

I have 3 girls that I think will be due soon. These are my last 3 that I don't have a due date on. I left a little male in with the girls longer than I should have and he managed to breed 5 girls before I caught on that he was one busy boy. The rest of the girls are due in March and April and I know their due dates.

I'm bottle feeding the one little chocolate brown buck. While it is only 4 bottles a day, i have to say I will be glad when I'm done. You are still tied down to a time schedule. I give people credit who bottle feed all their kids but at this point in time, I will stick with doe raising the kids. I have enough to do around here without running out 4 times a day with a bunch of bottles.

Ariel72

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there! I just joined this forum and its great to "see" a familiar face.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Karen.....don't you DARE show my wife a picture of that little black and tan buckskin buckling!!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, the word is that I possibly have another goat in labor. Will update later. She may fool me but her udder doubled in size literally overnight. I have never birthed this girl before so I don't know her pattern but I know last year she gave birth to a single buckling and did a great job.

Bottle feeding is going well with the brown buckling but even though it is only 4 bottles a day, it still is more than I want to do. So I will definitely continue the dam raising for now. Maybe someday I will have to buckle and do what other breeders do but for now no way.

Hi Ariel72! :welcome

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good luck today! Hoping for healthy little ones for you :fl

LOL, I hear ya on the bottle raising. I will dam raise unless there is absolutely no other choice. I am still sleep deprived from my human kids' early years :p