ksalvagno's farm journal - Time for change

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey SKR8PN - I will have MORE cute goat pics later tonight. Maybe I will even drive over with some cute little goaties! :lol:

Well, this afternoon was CRAZY. First kid was coming breech and not just breech but tail first and no legs. So I get my hand in there and realize my hand is just slightly too big to be able to try and swing legs around. So I called my vet who has tiny little hands. So now she is on the way. I go inside the house to grab a few things and go back out. Low and behold there is a kid on the ground. So this poor girl delivered the breech kid on her own. Of course he isn't breathing and still encased in his membrane. So I get his mouth and nose cleared and then hang him upside down, holding his legs and tap on his chest. He starts breathing! I'm so thankful. Next thing you know, Dahlia pops out another one. Get the membrane off her nose and mouth and she is off and running (practically). So now I'm working on drying off the first little guy and mom is working on 2nd kid. Next thing you know, she pops out another kid and this one is huge compared to the other ones. So I get the membrane off of his nose and mouth and he is good to go. So in total Dahlia had 2 boys and 1 girl. I had to give the first one some colostrum but he seems to be fine now. The other 2 were very fast to nurse on mom and they are doing great.

Well, with all this going, I had bread in the oven! Of course the day I decide to bake bread, this happens. So my bread was in the oven for an hour instead of half an hour. Needless to say it is well done. DH wants to try it and see if it will be good to dip in soup and then he will take it to lunch.

Then at 4pm I have to feed my other little guy. And I had responded to an ad on Craigslist for a hay bag. This woman was selling a brand new hay bag for $5. I needed one for the kidding stall that Dahlia was in anyway. So I had already made arrangements to pick it up at 5pm. I did let her know what was going on but since everything was going ok, I went ahead and picked it up. She only lived about 10 minutes away from me anyway.

Now I have to go to the store and buy more heat lamps. I was hoping to order some from Premier but I can't wait that long. So I'm going to make some phone calls first and make sure stores have them in stock before I go running off. But the new little ones aren't cold, they have one heat lamp and the barn cats' pet warming pad. My older kids have their heat lamp and box. But I will feel much better when each kidding stall has 2 heat lamps going. It really does make a big difference.

I have taken pictures of new ones but will have to post them later tonight.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow Karen, what a day! So glad it turned out well.

I got my lamps from Premier in only 2 days! Love them!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is Dahlia with her triplets. All kids are nursing on her so that is relief.

1324_dahliabirth11.jpg

Buckling #1, 2.6 lbs, tan and white with wattles

1324_dahliabuck11.jpg
1324_dahliabuck12.jpg

Doeling #2, 2.7 lbs, white and black

1324_dahliadoe2.jpg
1324_dahliadoe1.jpg

Buckling #3, 3.6 lbs, tan with frosted ears

1324_dahliabuck21.jpg
1324_dahliabuck22.jpg

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I know its a sin to covet someone else's things but GOSH I love those goats. They may disappar ksalvagno :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So cute. The doeling looks a lot like Gidget when she was that little. :love

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! They did great overnight. I woke up in the middle of the night and went out to check on them. They were all snuggled against mom. I was hoping to get a little colostrum from every girl to save but with having triplets, I'm not going to try. Those little guys need it all.

I'm excited. I got almost a quart of milk from Shamise this morning. And this is with one kid nursing on her. I think I can steal some milk for my breakfast shakes in the morning. But I will see. The last time I tasted the milk, it tasted terrible. But it has only been a week since she gave birth so I'm assuming there is still some colostrum in there. I know some people said to wait 2 weeks until drinking the milk but then a couple other people said they drink it just a few days after. So we will see what today's milk tastes like.

DH tried the bread last night. It turned out that it was nice and soft in the middle and tasted great. Just the crust is hard and tasting overdone. So I'm glad.

I have 2 goats that I'm boarding. I sold them but the owner couldn't take them until this spring. So those girls are pregnant and one of them looks like she may go sooner than I thought. I only have 2 kidding stalls up but can quickly get a third one up. So I will have to work on that today. Other than that, just regular chores and loving on new babies.