Ladies- question about BC

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I was on the depo provera birth control for almost a year. I quit getting the shots about 2-3 months ago because I wanted to get off horomonal birth control. This is all under my doctor's supervison. He told me it would do my body a world of good to get off the chemicals. Which it has, but I am a little afaid of one side-effect. Getting pregnate. And uh, I haven't had my period since I got off the shots. Dose anyone have any idea how long it takes for one to "get back in the swing of things" so to speak? Or should I get a test? Me and my SO are "active" and useing protection.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would check with your doctor... I've read it can take anywhere from 3 months to 2 years for your body to return to a regular period.

I've never personally taken the shot, but I had a friend who did... hers took about 9 months to come back to normal, although she had a few periods in those 9 months, it was not at all on a regular schedule.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It might just take awhile. Hard to tell really :)

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Definitely takes a while to get back to normal. I was on the pill forEVER and quit in January. I have had 3 periods since. I can't say I really miss them, but it would be nice to get back on track. :rolleyes: But yes, it definitely takes some time for things to get back to normal IME. Not a bad idea to do a pregnancy test every once in a while to be sure.

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It differs from person to person. My cycle didn't go back to normal for 4 months or so. I suggest looking into charting your cycles - it's a great way to learn about your body and its natural rhythms, and is a reliable birth control method.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend of my daughter's got pregnant one month after getting off the shots! So using protections is really good advice!;)

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Oh don't worry, we are using protection. But I'm still paranoid! :p Whenever it comes, I plan on tracking it on my calender. I feel so much better and have lost some weight since I got off the shots! And (whispers) I found my "drive" again!