Lard Question

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok I have 4lbs of lard and if I have been reading right it is a "good Fat" so what can i use it in I have always used veg oil so.... any ideas i know u all have them ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mlynd said:
Ok I have 4lbs of lard and if I have been reading right it is a "good Fat" so what can i use it in I have always used veg oil so.... any ideas i know u all have them ;)
Is it non hydrogentated?

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you know it don't say LOL I found it at our local mom and pop store next to the shorting so I though it might be the same thing it says that I don't have to refrigerate it that is all ??

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i use it for everything - in every recipe that calls for shortening, for frying, in baking (usually 1/2 lard and 1/2 butter).. you name it you can use it.

:)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mlynd said:
you know it don't say LOL I found it at our local mom and pop store next to the shorting so I though it might be the same thing it says that I don't have to refrigerate it that is all ??
When you open it up, does it smell like something, or nothing at all?
The ingredient list should give you some clues as well.

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Smells Like pig ... or BACON Hey OFG ..its white and creamy not hard there is no list of what kind of fat but by the smell... so that is a good find then since I can't find a way to render my own right now ... i use it just like oil huh. does it measure the same?? 1/2c of lard to 1/2 oil ??

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mlynd said:
Smells Like pig ... or BACON Hey OFG ..its white and creamy not hard there is no list of what kind of fat but by the smell... so that is a good find then since I can't find a way to render my own right now ... i use it just like oil huh. does it measure the same?? 1/2c of lard to 1/2 oil ??
Should be fine then!
You can use it cup for cup.

So are you going to let us in the brand name :D

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh LOL ya is called Field is any one familiar with it?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep measure same same!

try making a pie crust with it - 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard for the 'shortening' - it will be amazing

i even use it in cookies and sweet breads (like cinnamon rolls). really its great. if you have to saute something just plop it in a pan and let it melt.

i dont deep fry but you can use it for that too.

:)

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:weee Yea I found a good thing (goes running around the room and the kids are looking at each other.. to think Mom gets excited over Fat )