Lard Question

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mrs Puff the Greek style yogurt isn't so much about the milk as it is about the culture used to start it. The place I got my sourdough starter from also sells the culture for various yogurts and they're pretty proud of their Greek yogurt.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Incidentally, for those of us too lazy to actually source out decent lard <raises hand>, has anyone ever tried making cookies or piecrusts with poultry fat instead?

I don't want to try it b/c I hate baking so much that I really, really don't want to invest energy into something that ends up as "roast turkey cookies" or something like that LOL --- but it occurs to me that quite possibly someone here has tried it and could report?

Thanks,

Pat

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Incidentally, for those of us too lazy to actually source out decent lard <raises hand>, has anyone ever tried making cookies or piecrusts with poultry fat instead?

I don't want to try it b/c I hate baking so much that I really, really don't want to invest energy into something that ends up as "roast turkey cookies" or something like that LOL --- but it occurs to me that quite possibly someone here has tried it and could report?

Thanks,

Pat
LOL! I just wrote about that on the other thread about chicken fat. YES, chicken fat can and SHOULD be saved. I've only used it in pie crust and dumplings but I was pleased with both products. I did use the pie crust for a chicken pot pie BUT the crust had NO chicken type flavor to it at all so I wouldn't be worried about using it for any other kind of pie at all. I know it would make some great biscuits judging by the way my dumplings came out and I don't think I'd be afraid to use it in cookies it's just that I've never had that much at one time. I have lots of kids so I usually bake at least a quadruple batch of cookies calling for several cups of butter.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well of course I *do* save and use my poultry fat :p but never tried it for baking, I mean :)

I did not realize there was a chickenfat thread, I will have to go look for it!

Thanks,

Pat

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love my goose grease. I haven't used it for cookies or pie yet, but I bet it would be fine.

When I did oven-roasted potatoes with it, I actually HOPED for a kind of roast goose flavor but ... None at all. It just is clean fat.

I had a bowl of yellow chicken fat saved on the counter, but someone thought it was scrap and added skimming from beef curry to it, so I'm gonna use it for the critters.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pat - Like Farmerlor I have used chicken fat in piecrusts - about 1/3 - 2/3 with butter - and it worked very well. Depending on how "clean" the fat is there is more or less *chicken* in the final product. I use it just for savory pies, quiches, and such, but sometimes I could have used it for fruit pies with no problem. Also, dumplings, matsoh (sp?) balls, savory biscuits.
Neko-chan - When I lived in Ireland, as a child, drippings on bread was a favorite I learned about from my friends. I didn't bring the habit home though, for some reason; probably because the bread here was so consistently awful back then, in the '60's.