Large bird run done

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
actually liked my Guineas. They were loud if something strange came but, day to day animals/people not so. They always made me shake my head at the fact that they would fly over a fence into another pasture BUT when they tried to come back, just ran up & down the fence line looking for a way through! :he Why not FLY BACK??? Never failed...I mean, there was a path from running the fence. Heck, the chickens don't do that!
Same experience here on the flying and wearing a path along the fence. However, ours are always squawking. They'll fly over the fence and then walk the paths on our property in the trees and prairie just screeching the whole time.

They've even circled our house and stopped once they could see my wife through a window and stood there screeching at her for a while. I assume for food but maybe also just as a "LOOK!!! IT'S A THING!!!"

Getting them back into the chain link run at night is always the struggle as they can just fly over the whole thing if they remember that they can fly.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gunieas are really low on the brains ladder ..... I had some once, but they too wouldn't stay home and the neighbor hated them. Wonder why??????:hide:hide:hu:idunno

They would roost on the board fence, top board, and the owls would pick them off one by one. Had a couple that wouldn't stay out of the road and actually become roadkill....And there is nothing more useless for setting on and hatching out eggs.....
Lay like the devil, but you had to incubate them and raise them in confined quarters, or there wouldn't be any. JUST PLAIN DUMB.
Best thing to say for them, they are great at eating bugs and will "de-tick" an area real well. And of course, let you know if something strange comes around.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had to run outside in the dark to turn a cut off valve to a water faucet so it doesn't freeze tonight. There were the Looney Goonies, huddled up next to a cow panel at the sheep barn--because I didn't open the gate for them! To get out in the yard in the mornings, from the big tree they roost in, they have to pop through a cow panel, plus the very one they were huddled up against. It is a known fact, the holes in cow panels only open in one direction. I was going to catch them and put them over the fence, but they ran off, shrieking, in the darkness. Dummy Looney Goonies.

:lol::yuckyuck:gig

Good thing my coffee cup is empty. Otherwise, there'd be coffee dripping down the monitor screen.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are the Peking for meat? And, for that matter - are the guineas for meat? I love guineas, but the few that I've had thought there were greener pastures somewhere and they flew the coop....literally, lol.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are the Peking for meat? And, for that matter - are the guineas for meat? I love guineas, but the few that I've had thought there were greener pastures somewhere and they flew the coop....literally, lol.

My wife really wanted the guineas. I think she just wanted more birds and was okay if they flew off. The ducks are for eggs amd eventually meat.

The stories I hear of guineas flying off are hilaripus :)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ugh. Lots of shoveling yesterday granted me a huge pile of decomposing grass, leaves and chiclen poop. I hauled some off to my compost piles, but eventually just began piling it up in the large run area. That'll be a nice pile for them to scratch in.

20191117_144708.jpg