Laundry soap---Question about results

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been making the homemade laundry soap for a couple of months now. LOVE IT!
However, my husband wanted me to post and ask a question about results.
Seems his work uniforms start emitting a dried urine type smell when he starts sweating. :p
He said it's embarassing. This didn't happen until I started using the homemade laundry soap.
I use the washing soda, borax and ivory mixture. Does anyone else have results like this?
I love this soap recipe and am having great results with the rest of our laundry. Just this one area is causing problems. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am thinking I may have to switch back to store soap for his uniforms.
Thanks!!
Jo

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Are you adding anything to the rince cycle? I am not at this point yet due to the old gabillion gallon sized detergent we bought at cosco before I learned how to make my own...but I read that you can use white vinegar in the rince cycle. :hu

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Try the white vinegar in the rinse cycle. I use it and no fabric sheets in the dryer.

I use the same recipe with the Fels Naptha (sp?) soap. I also add a few drops of essential citrus oil. I don't think my clothes stink, but. . . :hu

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have this problem, too, but only with our clothes, not with sheets, towels, etc. And not with my bleachable whites, either. So I am guessing it is a bacteria problem. Others don't have this issue, so I am also guessing that it has to do with my water source, which is municiple. So bacteria is an issue. I do use white vinegar in the rinse cycle for every load.

I will use either commercial laundry soap for the dark clothes, or my own soap with some disinfectant in the wash. Sometimes I can then go a couple of weeks without doing that, and it is ok.

I don't smell "urine" but it is a very sour, dirty smell. The clothes go into the washer dirty, but don't smell that bad until they are through the dryer.

I bet line-drying in the sun would resolve this, but I have allergies, and line-drying is out because of pollen.....nevermind all the rain this year! The sun is very disinfecting. A lot of people who use homemade laundry soap also line-dry.

Hope this helps.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I had this same problem and now use the white vinegar in my wash cycle or either in my rinse cycle. Depends on my timeing. If I know I am not going to be able to get back or either to busy to worry about getting back to the rinse cycle I just pour it in with the detergent.

My DH has not complained since I started doing this.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Use it in a "downey ball" it opens itself during the rince cycle and works great. They are uner 2 bucks and a real life saver when you are forgetful like me. It goes in in the beginning of the wash.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't seem to have this problem, but then I use the Fels Naptha instead of Ivory soap. Our laundry comes out smelling very fresh, but our whites are dingey looking. I just stopped buying white clothing and it solved the problem.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
2dream, how much vinegar do you use? I can get about a half cup in my dispenser that is attached to the top of the agitator. Maybe I need to get a Downy ball and add more?

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Good to know I am not the only one experiencing this. I do line dry our laundry most of the time.
I will try to use the vinegar, as suggested. I don't use fabric softener, unless I am using my dryer and then I spritz some of the liquid on to an old cleaning rag and toss in w/laundry.
For those adding essential oil to the laundry soap recipe, does this eliminate the odors?
My laundry comes out without any odor to it at all after washing. It just happens when Jim wears his uniforms and starts sweating. Not an issue before the homemade soap.
Thanks again!!
P.S. We have WONDERFUL well water...Sooo????

Latest posts