Laundry soap---Question about results

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
White vinegar removes that moldy smell laundry gets, when it sits damp for a while as well.
I just pour a glop of vinegar into the machine at the beginning. I'm not one to remember to add anything to the rinse cycle. Nor am I one to measure much of anything unless I have to.
I just grate up some laundry soap, add a small handfull of borax and a glop (very techincal term here) of white vinegar. I line dry my laundry.
SO does his own, because he know I will line dry his clothes, if I wash them, he doesn't like the occasional spider that ends up in the clothes after :p He also uses Tide and nothing else. :(
White vinegar will also set colors. So if you wash your new red clothes or blue jeans seperately in hot water with vinegar, you're less likely to end up with colors bleeding in consequent washings.
We have hard water and the vinegar helps disolve the minerals that make water "hard".

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I'm mystified! You took all my reasons away!
I'm sorry... :/ . I am mystified, as well.
The only complaints are about his uniforms. I wonder if his body chemistry is just causing it...mixing with the residue in the clothing.
And here I am THRILLED with the cost and the effectiveness and my beloved one just bursts my bubble!
I mean, this stuff even took out stains on linen-type tablecloths that I thought were ruined.
This stuff is incredible. But, I guess, sigh :( that I will go back to purchased soap for his clothes...
The things we do for love.... :p

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We use the liquid homemade with Fels Naptha. We have a well with water conditioner system.

I fill the machine's fabric softener dispenser when I put the clothes in - half white vinegar/half water. Then I let the machine add it at the proper time.

Bee, we fixed the dingy whites by adding 1/4 to 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide to the wash with the laundry soap, and then straight white vinegar in the rinse, and sun/line dried the items. The homemade oxy clean works too.

Stonehaven, I don't use the EOs in the laundry soap and I don't use fabric softener. After you try the white vinegar, please let us know if that corrected the problem. My dh's scrubs smell to high heaven some days :p , but he hasn't had any complaints about the homemade soap, which we have been using for almost 2 years.

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Daughter asked me a question this morning and I wanted to pose it to you...
She wanted to know if a person could make the recipe and substitute vinegar for some of the water?
What do you think?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is so cheap to make, it would be an interesting experiment. I'd try a half batch, since the vinegar would drive the price up. I wonder if it would still gel. Wouldn't matter, if my clothes didn't smell.

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
keljonma said:
We use the liquid homemade with Fels Naptha. We have a well with water conditioner system.

I fill the machine's fabric softener dispenser when I put the clothes in - half white vinegar/half water. Then I let the machine add it at the proper time.

Bee, we fixed the dingy whites by adding 1/4 to 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide to the wash with the laundry soap, and then straight white vinegar in the rinse, and sun/line dried the items. The homemade oxy clean works too.

Stonehaven, I don't use the EOs in the laundry soap and I don't use fabric softener. After you try the white vinegar, please let us know if that corrected the problem. My dh's scrubs smell to high heaven some days :p , but he hasn't had any complaints about the homemade soap, which we have been using for almost 2 years.
Jim heads back to work tomorrow, so I will let you know after that. I did a load of his uniforms yesterday with the vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser and line dried them.
Hoping that does the trick!!

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It is so cheap to make, it would be an interesting experiment. I'd try a half batch, since the vinegar would drive the price up. I wonder if it would still gel. Wouldn't matter, if my clothes didn't smell.
I will give it a try, since I have to make up some anyway. Will let you know how it does.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
freemotion said:
2dream, how much vinegar do you use? I can get about a half cup in my dispenser that is attached to the top of the agitator. Maybe I need to get a Downy ball and add more?
Gee, I don't measure. I just dump some in. LOL Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. My washer does not have a dispenser.
I do think that part of my smell problem may have been solved. Lately I had been noticing a mildewy smell everytime I opened the washing machine or cleaned around that area. DH found a leak under the house right under my washer. He fixed it so now I don't have that smell.

I am thinking the smell was coming from that. We will see as I have not used the vinegar in the last few loads to test it.