Layoff Still On--Ugh

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tony went to work at 5:30---home by 6:30

UGH

his start up was this week after the holidays. they are on a rotational lay off. he chose to layoff this week and work next. it falls better for him to have his Sat. off to go to the market.

The company said at least 4 weeks, possilble 6 and then back to normal?....but I do get unemployment for those layoff weeks. I hope this isn't a sign of worse things...we shall see.

scary.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The uncertainty of not working is the worst. We've never done layoffs or unemployment, so I'm not sure how that works.

But I'm sure you guys will be fine.... you have that ss spirit. ;)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Silver lining behind the layoff cloud is: He needs the time off to rest and it works best for his Dr visits. And like kjm said. You have the SS spirit so all will be well.
If this is a normal annual thing I am sure you have nothing to worry about. Plus he will be there to help out more so you can have more of that down time you have been wanting. Stop worrying about all this and enjoy the time. There will be plenty of time to worry if something does happen. So don't borrow trouble.
As the saying goes, yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not here yet, all you have is today.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I wonder if the stress of the economy is contributing to his not feeling well- some people, especially men, seem to internalize anxiety and it pops out as physical problems.
I've learned that if my jaw hurts, it's usually because I'm nervous over something and am grinding my teeth at night.

I'm sure it would not be so scary if there weren't so many problems with other people's jobs.

I hope this all resolves for you soon.

Don't you ever wonder why thes lay offs can't happen in summer when they could at least be fully enjoyed? :rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Not to steal FC's thought......

I read in the paper today that Bowling Green University in Ohio is laying off 43 salaried non-faculty employees at the end of June, when their fiscal year is over. The employees being laid off got their letters Christmas Eve, because the university is required to notify salaried employees six months in advance of layoffs. The university expects to save nearly $2 million with this move. Ironically, the employees being laid off work in the student services, residence life, and financial aid offices.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
A friend from church and the boys' Tae Kwon Do leader just got their lay off notices from Lordstown...GM. I think the TKD teacher is only off for a month but my friend from church is on permant layoff for one year at 90% of his pay. If they don't call him back in a year then he is done.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks all for the encouragement all will be fine!!!!!

you are right 2dream...I shouldn't worry too much about what I can not control...that is so true!

yea ETR....I know Tony mentioned he feels worse he thinks cause he is worried about these medical problems...so stress from being sick I am sure is making him sicker.

Thing is, this is not a normal thing for his company. Usually it is layoff optional in December cause orders are slow.

Well they got laid off early in Nov.....and now they are in layoff time after Dec.....both unusual----BUT if that is all then we are fortunate.

I know money is going to be tight. He is already talking about buying some type of planter equipment for the fields...NO WAY that is happening. Future is too uncertain right now....time to be SS and USE ALL WE DO HAVE and not buy more.

Say it with me all---NO MORE DEBT - NO MORE DEBT
Well, some if really needed, lol, but not alot OK???lol

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yes, layoff stinks. DH might get called back to the tree farm in March. He didn't have enough weeks in to collect unemployment before they laid off, though. So we have to make due, sit tight, and wait. March is only 2 months away....and February is a short month....so that's not too bad...and it was the tree farm owner himself that shook DH's hand and asked to call him back...so here's hoping!

It will work out FC, you'll see!

No more debt! No more debt!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
side note

when layoff hit in Nov. I didn't know but they laid off 57 on permanent lay off. that is rare for his company...but they were the last hired so they were the first to go.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Things are really slow for us now, too. DH is a contract logger and unloads chips from rail cars for a local papermill. There are no chips scheduled to come in maybe for the next 2-3 weeks. Logging is weather dependant and it's wet right now. Heavy equipment does not do well on soft ground.

He had to lay 3 employees off and that really stresses him out. I will say he is one of the most compassionate and caring bosses anyone would ever have the pleasure to work for.

For the past 2-3 years we have been planning for a slow down such as this. Although, we didn't plan on the high cost of fuel when it soared. That expense went from about $12,000 per month to $18,000 per month due to the high cost of diesel.

We have some money put back that will make equipment payments for a while. Plus, we can sell some assets if someone is willing and able to buy. But, we also have an 18 year old that will be starting college in the fall.