Layoff Still On--Ugh

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
those fuel costs you mentioned made me shudder!
that is just nasty!

I know punkin. everyone is feeling it and him having to let go some people has to be very hard. it would weigh on me also!!!

fingers crossed for all of us to do well this 2009!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband heard through the grapevine that there will be layoffs the 30th of this month. He works for a tier 2 supplier to the auto makers. (They supply the factories that supply the automakers.) They don't give you any notice - they just tell you that you are no longer needed and walk you to the door. :(

It is nice to know that I will be able to come here for ideas and support if he loses his job. Since he has only 16 yrs in and the other person in the same position has 20+, he expects to be the one to go.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope that doesn't happen hoosier! sending good luck vibes his way!

yea Tony has 15 years at Commscope. He is lucky cause it has saved him many times thru a few layoffs...seniority in his company means alot.

Hope it all stays well for him there! :)

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick, sorry about this. You both have a lot going on now, but maybe the rest will be good. And, if it's every other week, perhaps that's a good sign, too.

The others are right, it's all in how you think about it. The SS mentality really kicks in and you get to put into action all those ideas you've been tossing around. You become really resourceful.

Don't get me wrong, there's still worry, but living SS eases that some.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience here. Last year was not good for us. We are thinking positivie for 2009, but at the same time being realistic.

We all just have to keep this in mind...."We are Survivors!"

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea prarie
we are survivors! gung-ho and ready to be SS!--haha
I can do without alot....just as long as I get the stupid payments I owe paid...lol

I got house, car, camper. Those payments just stink but house I have to pay, car is necessary now and camper---hmm...that is the noose around my neck. I love it and hate it. I want it and I don't.

Well, you know....but I told Tony if something has to go the camper will be gone real fast. That is number 1 to leave if something happens further down the line, followed by that stupid directtv which seems to cost so much! :)

but I hope all stays fine--no use worrying until something happens but I do have a financial game plan to be effected if necessary. I know I would be fine, but very tight.

yes, we can all make do if we have to. I don't want to, but I can..HA HA

it is good all of us do think about "what ifs" and have a plan ready. I do know what would go fast if financially the crap hit the fan. I like that about us. We do think ahead and if we need it, we can fall back onto our plans fast.

oh well just rambling cause it is good for me to talk out my what ifs, cause if they hit I do want to be ready.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
DH went into work yesterday and they had laid off several of the most recent hires. He said the one guy that was hired in after him is still there so he still feel somewhat secure. If worse comes to worse we can fall back on unemployement based on his previous job. He just got this job in August after AT&T merged with his company and laid off half of the workers. Plus he has a former coworker that keeps asking him to come work for the company he works for. Our hardest part would be going without insurance for the next two months if DH did get laid off.

With me being on bedrest I was just thinking about having DH call and see about getting the Directv turned back on for one month!!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
DH just got the news today that Bowater will not be accepting any hauled wood until after Jan. 23rd. So, he had to fill out lay-off slips for 2 more employees.

We are still waiting to hear if they are going to extend our railcar chip unloading contract. Keep your fingers crossed for us. :fl

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea Pam--honestly bedrest for 1 more month ---it would drive me insane...but we do what we must.

If you can have that cable turned on. You can only read so much, sleep so much, and lie there so much...LOL---maybe 600 channels would help! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:fl

fingers and toes crossed. you surely want that contract renewed!!!! let us know when you hear the news.

bad isn't it waiting for things like this...renewal or not......just makes one want to bite all her nails.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
UPDATE

UGH

tony said his new work schedule is Mon-Thurs 12 hr. days---then OFF 10 days.

UGH

but at least I have unemplyment coming for that week.

Last about 6-8 weeks and the company will re-evaluate to lay off permanent OR to layoff 1 whole day shift and nightshift....or WHO KNOWS!!!!

Tony having seniority means he might fall back onto night shift if he is lucky or he could be out the door.

I just don't know and won't "worry" too much cause what will be will be but my savings is going into overdrive right now.

If he hits night shift it will be real hard with the farming and the market and such....not a good thing but hey???

wild time out there and everyone, save money NOW, put anything aside if you can and lock it up tight cause worse times for this economy are coming!