Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Started ripping and tearing in the greenhouse. So far, 4 x 30G trash cans full of vegetation in varying stages of "weediness/going to seed" pulled out and given to the chickens. One more to go. Then... I intend to bring out the shop vac and lightly vac the growing beds to hopefully lift the light wt seeds from the soil. I'll let you know if this is a stroke of genius, or a fool's folly. Some of the more promising seed heads have been set aside to lay in the beds once they've been cleaned up and amended. Kale, spinach, lettuce. Chickens are liking this project. I hope to take a couple of weeks to repeatedly sprout and hoe the beds to decrease the weed load before planting my winter crops. It might be a good idea to start an other flat of seedlings, so when I do plant the beds, I'll have plants ready to go! The sprouts in the first flat have taken off in the last week. About 3" tall now.

Should have enough kale from greenhouse to try the creamed kale recipe posted by @Britesea

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
what a great idea! I'm gonna try that-- I pulled out a bunch of prickly lettuce and some of it had mature seed heads that went EVERYWHERE

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
https://www.livescience.com/12-years-to-stop-climate-change.html

Good article - doesn't throw out doom and gloom...just makes sense. I doubt that any of us will see massive effects in our lifetime. But, I have grandkids like a lot of us, and I want them to not pay the price for our lack of caretaking of our planet. We take great care of our own little patch of ground...we practice organic gardening...we reduce, reuse and recycle. Some of us are awesome at re-purposing everything we can. Why would that not extend to taking the same care of our planet?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I watched a talk by Dr. Peter Ridd, a marine geophysicist who was fired from his academic post because he cited study after study and fact after fact about the great barrier reefs, and the health of them, which went against the doom and gloom climate change nay-sayer's who state that the barrier reefs are being killed off by human activity.

Here's the 20 minute episode which first got my attention about this man, and his battle for freedom of speech:

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Britesea , that prickly lettuce was the primary weed in my greenhouse. The good news is that it is edible when young. Bad news: it grows like, well... weeds, and is difficult to discern from lettuce seedlings!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yep!. I was hoping it was another type of wild lettuce that is good medicinally as a pain reliever similar to ibuprofen (also called Wild Lettuce or sometimes Opium Lettuce) *sigh*

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yep!. I was hoping it was another type of wild lettuce that is good medicinally as a pain reliever similar to ibuprofen (also called Wild Lettuce or sometimes Opium Lettuce) *sigh*
Do you have a picture of it?