Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The only thing more stressful to this ol' lady than a heap of snow is a heap of hot. I'll visit the south, but couldn't tolerate being there when it's warmish.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH had several options with his company when he saw the economy start to turn sour and he started looking at the lack of work they had. He knew that they would have to lay people off and he did not want to be one of those selected to go - so he decided to change offices and move to where they had work. Here were his options: Phoenix, AZ; Jacksonville, FL; Atlanta, Georgia; or Cheyenne, WY. We moved to Wyoming. He told me that the other 3 were not even options he seriously considered because "the heat would kill his wife".

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh how I love the sound of plinks when jars are sealing on the counter. Today, I cooked down 4 bags of cranberries into 10 jars of sauce. For some reason, these cranberries were not as tender as the last batch (same store, same company). So, I buzzed them with the immersion blender.

Tonight, Hubby helped me hang some lights under a cabinet where I'll be doing my hydro/aquaponics.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Home made cranberry sauce! Mine comes out of a can. :(

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol I'm quite happy here. I'd rather be cold than to warm. If in cold I can put on a sweeter if I'm hot there's only so much that can come off lol

Agreed. Hubby and I are totally incompatible in this area. It's the war of the thermostat here.

Home made cranberry sauce! Mine comes out of a can. :(

Mine did too, until the first time I tried making cranberry sauce. It has to be absolutely the simplest thing to do, and the flavor reward is through the roof compared to the canned stuff. Once you make it, you'll NEVER want to buy an other can of cranberry sauce again!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm doing my happy dance tonight. I decided to clean the build up out from under both sets of perches. I found partially decomposed litter under the loose top layer. Some of it was "mulchy" while some was well on it's way to becoming black humusy compost! And, there were a few red worms! That says that even on a vinyl floor, I had some good compost action going this summer. Took 11 WB loads to the garden and spread them on the various new beds. Only covered half of the bed where I'd put the potatoes. Garlic bed got a good capping, as well as the unplanted bed, the rhubarb, and the raspberries. I did not put any bedding on the strawberries. Need to get those plants mulched with hay. The leaves are laying flat now, and frost is several inches deep. Lots of rain and warm weather due tomorrow. Wish I'd got the hay over them before the warm weather hits. Now, will wait until an other good freeze, then put them to bed. Raspberry plants are looking pathetic. Poor growth this year in the new beds. I'm thinking that my Biochar experiment did not do them much good. It didn't have enough time to get inoculated, or it shifted the pH to the alkaline side.

Will let the birds work the area under the perchs to break up the remaining compost there, then cap it off with loose material moved from the front of the coop.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:weee some one laid an egg! This morning, one of the EE gals was on the nest, so I gave her a nudge to be sure she wasn't sick. She flew off the nest, leaving behind a little green egg that must have been laid within the last 2 days. It was most likely hers. Not frozen, thanks to the warm weather. So... looks like I'm back in business, and now have a glut of 1 - 2 month old eggs to use up. So, today's goal: get those lower level nest boxes fluffed up with some nice fresh bedding. I also had to do some blocking to keep the birds in their winter run. The cinder block steps to the pop door had settled enough that the birds could crawl through to get under the coop. The plastic that I did not reinforce with wire also blew loose in the recent gale winds, yet an other opportunity for the birds to escape. I was alerted to the breach by one of the hens who spent the night out in the summer run. So, frozen fingers, and an egg to show for the morning's outing. So excited about that egg! And, here we are, with Winter Solstice at the end of this week! We'll celebrate with quiche for supper!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is always exciting to find a pullet egg or the first egg after molting. I never get tired of it. Congrats on your green egg!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Christmas at our house: We have not decorated for years. We do very little in the way of gifts. I'd be perfectly happy to simply enjoy celebration of my Savior's birth, without any of the trappings that have been added to the day. But... we're hosting the dinner on the 25th, and hubby commented that our youngest grand daughter will likely be shocked when she does not see a tree. So... we decided to do some decorating, "just for her." Here's our very own Christmas tree. A bit late, but... I got it decorated today.

aloe.jpg

Last edited: