Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Shortly after my Dad moved here for hospice care, his cat came to live here as well. Lily is an indoor cat, has a gimpy hip. Her main job is to act as Dad's constant companion, bed and lap warmer. Her second job, which she undertakes with great enthusiasm is to attack my dog (Maggie) at every opportunity. We try to redirect her to more functional tasks. Last night, she found the perfect diversion. I found a "not only dead, but most sincerely dead" shrew on my bedroom floor. Way to go, Lily!!!!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Strange dog came through the yard today when I had roos and ducks out ranging. Young dog, rangy, wearing a sports harness. She was h3!! bent on "getting to know the squeaky toys". 3 shot gun blasts weren't a deterrent. At that time, a UPS delivery arrived, I put down the gun to accept the delivery. Had a brief chat with the driver about... "gotta do what I gotta do to protect my animals." When the driver left, the dog took off in pursuit. Don't know what dog would have done with a UPS truck... but... what ever! Dog returned 2 more times. Neighbors showed up a bit later. I now know who the dog belongs to. I met them in front yard, had a discussion about what I had to do the next time the dog returns. Neighbors in full agreement about my promise. 3 adult children and their kids now living with a single mom at end of the road. I suggested that the dog owner (who was not home at the time) come down and I'd show her the Pet Safe electronic system that we use for Maggie. Dog owner didn't want to use one of these systems, b/c she thought it would be "cruel". I explained that an electronic collar was much more humane than keeping a high energy dog chained up. And certainly more humane than unloading a cartridge of buck shot into it's hide. I do hope she takes me up on my offer to show and explain the system. Too nice a dog to have to shoot it... but... what ever!

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your neighbors sure can't complain if you have to shoot their dog. You have given them good advice and have warned them. Good luck!