Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like the garden is producing nicely.
A pergola with shade cloth top sounds nice. A friend had a simple pergola - basically a roof with 6 posts. She has is set up so she can hang 2 hammocks or 4 hammock chairs, or combo of 1 hammock and 2 chairs. She has a narrow "table" down the center to set your drink on.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ALL. DAY. LONG. It took me that long to get the framing for the grape arbor in place. I started by getting a WB full of compost from chicken run. Weeded the 2 beds where the grapes are planted. Love that Rogue hoe, though I nearly chopped those grapes down. Set the first 3 T posts in line with the ends of the T's of the clothes line where the grapes are planted. Then... met the mother rock where post #4 had to go. Took all my muscle power, a 5' iron bar, lots of leverage, propping rock with iron bar and spade, back filling underneath with chunks of fire wood to lever it up out of the hole before I could get enough of a grip on that rock to tip it up and out of the hole. Then, met rusty eye bolts at the top of the T's. Those had to come out to tie the uprights onto the T's. I love WD40! My feeble brain does not latch onto the righty tighty, lefty loosey concept very well. Every time my wrench slipped, I found myself heading in the wrong direction when I got the wrench re-adjusted. Of course, there was not a single 3/8" wrench to be found. Got uprights installed between posts and T's just in time to rush inside to cook supper... just in time to rush off to get GD to youth group. My back is complaining about that rock.

Hawk hanging around all day, worrying the robins. I think it's a youngster. It will perch in the woods and yell back at the robins, until they gang up and drive it off. Chickens not paying much mind to that hawk.

Tomorrow, I need to finish the grape arbor job: mulch with cardboard and hay for weed barrier, install horizontal support, then tie grape vines up. The Somersets are putting on a good show of clusters. The old fashioned Concord has not bloomed. That vine was planted late last summer, and will take several years to get established.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the process of tying up the Somersets, I broke off one nice long vine. Took the leaves off, up to the tip, and planted it in a window box that was then filled with a mix of greens and basil. If it takes root, I'll have a grape vine to give away at the end of the season. If it rots, no great loss.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Somebody flipped a switch about 3 days ago. We've gone from a very cold spring to a very hot summer. The temp has been up well over 90* for the last 3 days. For your southern folks, that's no biggie. But, for this northern gal, that's a major hardship. BUT... I am oh so very thankful that hubby and I got the bedroom AC unit installed 2 days ago, and our son dropped by to help hubby lug the LR unit up stairs this morning. I am so very thankful for my son, and the wonderful man he has become. He's a blessing as a son, husband, father, and man who rightly divides the word of truth, and knows how to use the word to speak encouragement to everyone he meets.

So, now... I can enjoy a cooling oasis in my home, in between running in and out into the scorching weather!

This afternoon we are going to head to town, run a few errands. I want to pick up some more electrical conduit and connectors, PVC and T posts to make some trellising for squash planted in HK and flower bed.

Also have a goal to plant more nasturtiums for beauty, and some calendula, with intent to harvest blossoms for a healing salve.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a new (to me) garden visitor today. To my knowledge, I've never seen this formidable looking creature. I found it resting among the potato leaves when I was doing potato bug patrol. It stayed put while I poked around, moving potato leaves out of the way in an attempt to get a good photo of it.

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Great-Black-Wasp

Not likely to cause harm to humans unless inadvertently molested. I was aware that it might not want it's photo taken, but took the risk. I'm glad it chose to fly away rather than go on the offensive!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubby and I were enjoying some time on the deck today, when we watched some hawk activity. A Northern Goshawk flew over the house and was doing a leisurely yard inspection. He was then attacked by a much smaller hawk. ? Red Tail. The smaller hawk spent about 10 minutes dive bombing and chasing the NGH. Most of the activity was over the woods to the W of our yard. But, the chasing also extended quite far to the E. Eventually, the smaller hawk gave up the chase. The NGH was then joined by what appeared to be it's mate. The 2 of them wheeled around in the sky before moving on. I do hope that no damage was done to the smaller hawk. If there has to be hawk activity, I'd be much happier to see a smaller hawk or pair defend our yard against the murderous NGH.

The flock seems to have had enough contact with the electronet, and it is of a small enough configuration that they are not trying to fly over it. They've learned that it bites. And, it is close enough to the covered run that a hawk that enters that enclosure would be working in tight quarters. Of course, I'm not foolish enough to believe that a hawk would not take a chicken in that periphery. Nor... am I naive enough to believe that a hawk would not breach the covered run. He could easily go between the tarp and the bird netting. And he could easily go through the people or pop door that are left open to the inner chicken run all day long. As an added deterrent to both hawks and chickens attempting to breach electronet enclosure, I've stuck a few fiberglass fence posts here and there in the open areas.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lots of rain this morning. The garden enjoyed the good drenching. I'm enjoying the sweet, tender radishes, and the snap peas. Succession crops of lettuce are keeping me well supplied. I plan to get some more sugar snaps into the ground next week. Those should supply a good fall crop. Strawberry plants are running very well now. Zucchini sporting tiny little buds.

I brought home 2 very large, heavy duty cardboard boxes from work. They will cover a lot of area, save a lot of weeding!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Setting in electronet along back side of the run. Hubby said the electric weed wacker is wimpy. So... I elected to clear the area by hand. SLOW going! I got all of the E side done between green house and run, 2/3 of the back side done, where the worst of the weeds are. Lots of brambles, wild aster, golden rod, and similar weeds there. I think I ran across what MAY be poison oak. Never seen it before. Saw a single seedling of poison ivy. It's my hope to finish the entire job tomorrow. 50 more feet to go till I get to the area that can be managed with the lawn mower. Then, I can power up the electronet. It's been off since yesterday morning. Weather and energy level must cooperate.

That's stage 1. Next, I intend to go back with broad fork, rake, and 4 tined cultivator, level an area wide and smooth enough for at least 1.5 passes with push mower. Then, knowing that nature hates a vacuum, I hope to find and broadcast some white clover seed there. I figure that the white clover will provide some good eating for the flock, and if it spreads, that will be a welcome thing.

All of the lawn clippings are going on the HK mound now. 10 bags today!

Who needs a gym membership?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Note to self: DO NOT use the scythe at all even remotely close to the electronet. I was real proud of myself, noting how I could skim along at ground level, lopping those weeds off at soil level. So... went under the electronet, which was raised up a few inches. Yep... hit a rock. Tip of scythe rolled up... sliced through 5 strands of the netting (charger turned off!). So... I've got a repair job ahead of me.

Last edited: