Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Awe, that just bites. Luckily you had it turned off

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I thought about that after I posted ... so, yeah, right, I meant that, lol.
Just having one of those days.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The new planting of sugar snaps are just now coming up. Weekend weather alerts for record temps, warning folks to stay inside if possible. I've been keeping the soil drenched in the new pea row, as well as where I have young tender crops started. Hope they survive. Goldfish are doing ok, I think I'll make some ice blocks for their rain barrel. May also put a bit of hay over those tender crops tonight to block the sun over the weekend.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Waiting patiently for that first delectable zucchini. First blossom yesterday.... Today, the entire plant is wilted. Blighted by virus carried by either squash bugs or cucumber beetles. May be too late to plant more, but... I will try. I love zucchini.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Sun Gold tomatoes are just now starting to show some color.

Fortex beans should yield first picking this week.

Peppers are setting fruit. Looks like I may actually get a yield. Tiny little egg plant fruit hiding among the leaves.

Sweet onions in same bed are sizing up nicely. It's turning out to be a good year for onions, carrots.

Second planting of sugar snaps are growing well, in spite of 90* temps.

Thanks to frequent sowing of radish, I am able to snack on those sweet crunchy delights every day. Time to plant some more. Last planting of lettuce is sizing up, and should be picked. Time to plant some more.

Beet seedlings are begging to go in the ground.

Time to plant some kale for fall and winter crop.

Snakes. Lots of snakes! Loving my snakes in the garden, in the lawn!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Harvesting garlic today. Good crop. That bed will be amended and planted to beets, kale, lettuce, cilantro, and radish. Will have 2 WBs full of weeds from that bed to toss to the chickens. They'll be more than happy to turn that seedy/weedy mess into eggs and compost.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On the home front: Hawks continue to circle, killing song birds, so far... no issues for the chickens.

We were not aware that one of the neighboring properties has had a new owner since May! Good thing we did not work on the lot line, taking down more trash wood. She came into the yard crying yesterday b/c her 2 German Shepherds had run off, and she was looking for them. "They've never run off before. I thought they might come down here b/c your yard is "interesting". Translation: "You have chickens, and my dogs would love to meet them." 2 large dogs on the loose is a recipe for disaster. My dog was attacked by an egg customer's dog a month or so ago. She wouldn't stand a chance against 2 larger dogs. She is not at all aggressive.

Story ended well for now. She found her dogs playing with the dog who lives across the state route. She appeared to be cognizant of the fact that her dogs might pose a threat in my yard, letting me know that her dogs were found, and were back where they belonged. But... I'll not be able to let my guard down for a minute, must be sure the electronet is plugged in at all times.

We'll have to have more conversation with new neighbors. Previous owner had given us permission to remove any problem trees along the lot line. Lot of dead wood throughout the entire section between us and the NEXT neighbor's property. I'm hoping they will learn that their dogs must be hitched.

Fire wood arrived tonight. I had ordered it a month ago. His wife stated that we would have it the following week. Wrong! Very frustrating to order wood, and wait... and wait.... and wait... But, it is very good looking wood. A lot of ash, some maple, some yellow birch. Supposedly it was cut last winter/early spring. Not nearly long enough to dry. I'm thankful that we have about a cord of dry wood from our SIL which we can burn through first. We'll have to split it again... always do b/c our fire box is so small. It will also be helpful to keep the wood box filled at all times. It's amazing how much moisture is drawn out of a stack of firewood when it's near the wood stove, and the household humidity hovers at around 10%!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope you get things worked out with your new neighbors. Be friends with her dogs on their property so if they come on your property you may be able to catch them. Keep a couple of leashes by the door. I suppose getting the fence line cleared just went to the front of the line.

Latest posts