Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not ordering from them. Just passing along the fantastic sale information. I have an order placed to Murray McMurray for 10 female ducks (2 Khaki Campbell, 2 fawn/white Indian runner, 3 black IR, 3 blue IR) to arrive at the end of April. I will most likely hatch some of my own chicks or pick up some MMc chicks from my feed store to brood around the same time. However, if this sale is repeated closer to my order time, I may cancel my MMc order and order from Ideal to take advantage of those give away prices. Unfortunately, Ideal sells only SR ducks. My favorite chicken breeds are : EE, Dominique, and Barred Rock.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a hen who has been threatening broody. Looks like she may be serious now.. Set a nest of hay for past 36 hrs....if it keeps up, I'll give her some golf balls and pen her. Looking for some eggs -- maybe? Or not. Haven't decided.

Decisions! LOL Was actually looking at hatchery ads yesterday....a few chicks at decent prices. Eggs are expensive & not what I thought I wanted. Will look at Ideal again. Didn't notice sales -- but, not looking at ducks for here. I'm not ready to order. LOL

It's THAT time of year!!!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Go to the left bar and scroll down to advertised specials. Then, look at the breeds listed on the right. EE pullets and many others are being offered @ 2.20 ea.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMO, it's a waste of time to order hatching eggs, unless it's impossible to get chicks of the breed you want. Failures with shipped eggs make it an impractical money proposition. But... if you can get local eggs from a healthy flock... that's a winner!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Longer day length is finally kicking the flock's hormones into production mode. Egg count is now all the way UP TO 2 eggs/day. That's a whopping 10% production rate. Way to go, girls! I'm sure they are having a staff meeting every evening to see who's turn it is to produce the next day's egg(s).

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My hens are cranking up. You never know how many until you collect but, I'm averaging 18 a day right now. I've gotten 5 and 25....LOL just depends on weather and moods. This overcast for several days sets them back, just as bright sunshine pumps them up. Well, it pumps ME up, too. :D I figure any I get is better than none!

My customers are happy to get more fresh eggs again.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
6 eggs yesterday, 4 today. I should be selling some by the end of the week.

Have any readers hatched fertile eggs from the grocer? I have ducklings on order... but... really don't want to ship them all the way across the country. If at all possible, I'd rather hatch my own. I'm putting out ads for duck eggs, but not finding the variety I want. Local health food store has "fertile" duck eggs. I just might take the risk, and hatch some out of their cooler. Each box has at least 1 blue egg in it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As you know, age & storage temperature are considerations for a hatch. Maybe talk with the shop owner, are the eggs local? Possibly you could have her get some and call you right away. Seems a better option if you don't want to ship live ones. Plus, you don't know what kind these are, do you?

I'd say order -- if you want specific breed.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses You are very right. The easiest and surest way would be to order them, even though they ship from California. But, then.... I'd have a bunch of extra ducks to sell. Hopefully, that will not be a concern, given the difficulty I'm having in finding local duck eggs of those breeds! The last shipment of chicks only traveled half of that distance, and they were 4 days in transit.

I've called her phone, and left a message. She has not returned my call. They are local. I can find out when her delivery dates are, and time my pick up accordingly. She is the only person supplying duck eggs to that store. Given that there are some blue eggs, that narrows the likely breed(s) down just a bit.

I've also joined a FB chat forum re: ducks, and will put out some feelers for shipped eggs. I'm guessing that the increased viscosity of duck eggs would make them a more viable option in shipping, comparing them to chicken eggs.

So... unless an other option presents itself:

One way or an other, I hope to set some duck (and chicken eggs) with hatch date about 2 weeks before ship date of the ordered ducklings. If I get a good hatch, I can cancel the shipment that is coming from California. (without penalty)

Chicks will be from my own flock.

Duck egg options: Mystery eggs from health food store. Welsh Harlequin from about a 2 hour drive. Possible shipped eggs of my breed choice from ???? I have ad on CL, BYC, and will also post on FB buy/sell/swap page.

I'm a confirmed risk taker, experimenter, and thrive on doing things in an unconventional, off the beaten path way. Started my first flock during this granola phase of my life by first building an incubator.