Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I sold 4 more ducklings today. Only 5 left from the newest grouping. Plan to keep them until they declare their gender. Could have sold an other 6. So... tomorrow morning, Hubby and I will take a trip to the health food stores to see if there are any more duck eggs to be had. If so, I'll buy a couple dozen, and stick them in the bator. Perhaps we need to make a cabinet bator! If I can't find eggs there, we could go back to the "farm". But, she now wants more money for them!

Could have easily sold 2 dozen chicks from last grouping. But... I want to save some for replacements for my own flock. Also, thinking that sexed pullets, off heat should bring at least $20 this season.

Can't keep enough eggs in the fridge to supply my regular customers, so... keeping a 4 dz. back log for myself, and a waiting list for everyone else, letting them know as eggs become available. Thinking of giving a 2 dz. limit.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Business is good! Pullets always are good sellers, now even more so.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Calls still coming in for chicks and ducklings. Hubby and I went back to the farm this morning, and picked up an other 2 doz eggs to set. I'm so excited. Most of these eggs, I got to hand pick and they are blue. Meaning... good chance that they are IR!

Spent almost 1/2 hour on phone with one of the duckling buyers. She described signs of full blown Vitamin E encephalopathy. So, after doing a complete questioning of every little detail of her set up, I found that her feed had a mill date of Jan 20. OLD FEED! She stated that the bag had an expiration date of some time in October. How can feed companies get away with this???? She is also using 250W heat lamp on them in the house. So, we talked about THAT. This gal was trying to do everything just perfect. Obviously, I need to write up a fact sheet and give it to every single customer. Hopefully, she can get them medicated in time to save their lives.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Apparently, I have one duckling with springs in her feet. This little rebel is not content to live on the same plane with her siblings. Last night, I was woken from a sound sleep by chirps of distress. So... I checked the make shift brooder in the next room. 4 babies content, sleeping on top of their heating pad cave. Meanwhile... baby #5 had taken a leap of faith and landed on top of the fold up shelf area to the attached feed/water station. About a leap of 4" across, and 4" high. These babies are only 4 days old! This morning, she is repeatedly making the leap, obviously plracticing her next great act... So, I've taken steps to block her from leaping to that platform!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Calls still coming in for chicks and ducklings. Hubby and I went back to the farm this morning, and picked up an other 2 doz eggs to set. I'm so excited. Most of these eggs, I got to hand pick and they are blue. Meaning... good chance that they are IR!

Spent almost 1/2 hour on phone with one of the duckling buyers. She described signs of full blown Vitamin E encephalopathy. So, after doing a complete questioning of every little detail of her set up, I found that her feed had a mill date of Jan 20. OLD FEED! She stated that the bag had an expiration date of some time in October. How can feed companies get away with this???? She is also using 250W heat lamp on them in the house. So, we talked about THAT. This gal was trying to do everything just perfect. Obviously, I need to write up a fact sheet and give it to every single customer. Hopefully, she can get them medicated in time to save their lives.

Did you ever hear back from that lady? Wondering if her ducklings survived?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No. She never called back. I had hoped she would. IMO, it's just not right for feed companies to get away with selling stale feed. But, they do it all the time, and a lot of new flock keepers end up paying the price in sick or dead birds for the greed of the feed companies. I won't do business with TSC b/c of their pathetic product quality here.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our Tractor Supply has knowledgeable staff - the guy in charge of the chicks knows chickens pretty well. And he knows his stock. But, they only have 4 varieties in at a time.
Last week, he tried to sell me some turkeys ... DH said NO. I wasn't really interested anyway. Gotta get some Cronish Cross started though.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need a couple of turkeys because our branch of the Lions' Club wants to run a turkey raffle again this fall. We won't be able to do several of our normal fundraisers, but this one doesn't require large numbers of people to gather. I just hope I don't end up with another mean Tom!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are you all seeing for pricing and availability in your area: SR vs. sexed layers at the feed stores, SR chicks local, barn yard mix and pure breeds. Started pullets (off heat), older laying hens. I'm keeping my fingers on the pulse in my area re: availability and cost. It has been extremely limited, if not non existent for folks to find chicks at feed stores. But... I think the supply may be improving somewhat. I had a lady contact me yesterday, looking to buy ANYTHING!

Latest posts