Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have 2 knock down raised beds. Just shoveling the soil from the path into the footprint of the bed, raking the top smooth, and lining the sides with feed bags, cardboard, or flakes of hay. It takes about 20 minutes to make one, exercise time well spent.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, I planted Scarlet Nantes carrots in that raised bed. Also planted several varieties of Sweet Peppers, Habanero, Jalapeno peppers. Cukes are sprouting, pole beans are sprouting, zucchini is sprouting. Planted a couple rows of dill, and a window box of Thyme and Parsley. Naughty girl: burned my shoulders, neck, and arms.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought I wanted "raised beds". I do have but not with the edges. Fortunately this land is not rocky or clay....so I make my rows wide and tall and flat. Works, I think. LOL I'll let you know! Plan to do some root crop seeding this weekend. I love carrots & beets! Those are going out....have some of the Nantes, too. Plenty of turnip seeds but, I give those to the chickens & goats. I like the greens.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Raised beds are "all the rage". But, really, if you have good soil, and good drainage, and you are not compacting your soil... I really don't see the benefit. They are helpful if you have a hard time getting down to the ground, and in my case: I think the raised bed concept will help me to organize my garden, perhaps put some limitations on my planting. One other plus: they thaw out earlier in the spring.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
New chicks due to hatch Tues. and Sun., with more ducks due the following Sunday. Have a 2 mo. old group, and a 1 mo. old group of chicks. So, will be juggling my 2 heating pads, as well as brooder space. Working on getting new electronet installed... trying to get that one hooked up to the old one, and will need to bridge some of the space with some poly tape. Intend to completely enclose the garden, with a moat around it, and the new coop/run, as well as the old coop.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My raised beds are a life saver for me. My ra doesn't really like me bending to the ground trying to plant.

I wouldn't mind have some in ground rows of crowders & purple hulls. I just don't think I could do them by myself.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are plenty of adaptations for doing "in ground" planting. If it's a crop that matures all at once, you can wait until the majority of them are mature, then pull the whole plant to harvest. Or sit on a seat to harvest. As for planting. A Rogue hoe, or any other hoe of your choosing can open your trench. You can use a piece of PVC to drop the seed where you want it, then just push the soil into the trench with hoe or your toe, tamp it down... and you are all done except for laying down some mulch so you don't have to weed.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Big day in ducky world today. I let the 6 older ducks (7 weeks old) out to range with the 5 younger ones. (3 week old) A bit of hazing, but... no outright attacks. They had about 30 minutes together.

Latest posts