Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like watching dragonflies, wish there were some in our yard. Damselflies are jeweled little beauties.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First duck egg today. Can't wait till breakfast! Here's a fantastic speaker. Very thought provoking in light of the current covid discussions:

This is lengthy. But... very worth the watch. The meat of this video starts at around 28:30. This speaker talks about the clever deceit that is wrapped up in the current covid agenda. God says: There is no fear in death. The liar says: FEAR DEATH. BE VERY FEARFUL ALL THE TIME OF DEATH. God says, we are created in the image of God. That image is best expressed in our face, or countenance. The evil one says: Cover the image of God. To stay safe from death, you must cover the very part of you that expresses the image of God. God says: Sing praises to me. The evil one says: Do not sing. It spreads disease, death. God says: It is not good for man to be alone. The evil one says: We must isolate ourselves, distance ourselves in order to be safe, in order to keep others safe. Social distancing or isolation? THERE IS NOTHING SOCIAL ABOUT ISOLATION. We are social beings, created in the image of GOD, for the express purpose of engaging in relationships. I say, But, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Even so, Lord Jesus, come.
Christus Lutheran Church

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First duck egg for breakfast today. Was oh so sweet, tender. All round a PERFECT egg. I'm sold on ducks for now. Not sure what I'll be saying this winter. Wondering if a stock tank heater, large tub, and a circulating pump into an insulated bio and particulate filter would work???? I think I figured out how I ended up with so many drakes. I saved the largest, most robust ducklings for myself, and sold the smaller duckies!!!

What does the Constution of the US have to do with homesteading? IMO, EVERYTHING. All that I do is tied to my belief system.

The First amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed the egg.

I've never had a duck egg -- hear they are "richer" tasting than chicken eggs. Since I don't particularly like eggs because of the richness....duck eggs are surely out. :D But others I've heard like them. People rave about the eggs they get from me....buy them all! I try to eat them because of their being good for you but, I can only eat them with a lot of onion, green peppers, cheeses, etc. OK, I admit to really liking them in a cake, pudding, or such. :hide

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh the joys of pullet eggs! Today, I had the pleasure of bringing in eggs from yet 2 new layers. Perfect little green eggs! It's nice to see that blue egg gene being carried forward for yet an other generation!

Which... leads me to some hard choices for next season! I have decided that the best way to breed forward next year would be to remove Goliath and replace him with 2 of his sons this fall. Goliath is full blooded Buck Eye. He's quite the looker: big, chunky, assertive, yet yields to my presence. Only once did he challenge me: one morning when he was a cocky teen, and he decided he did not like my silky red pajamas. He attacked. I attacked back. If I could have caught him at that moment, I would have killed him. Instead, he and I had quite the go round: him running for his life, being chased by a screaming, stick wielding, wild woman clad in red silky jammies. Don't know how many neighbors witnessed that event, but... such is country life!

Contenders for Goliath successors: One full blooded Buck Eye with good conformation, but he lacks the mahogany red hackles that a good BE should have. His saddle and hackles are fairly dark red. Second full blooded BE, conformation not quite as good, but he does have the mahogany coloring. Many others have good conformation with black feathers in breast. Not SOP. I am not choosing any roos that have long shanks. Lastly, there's one EE with BE coloring. Being an EE, he will always be more slight of form. But, he has good muffs and beard, thus, is likely to carry the blue egg gene. He has white legs. I prefer the slate or black shanks in an EE, so he may be eliminated for that reason alone.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why are you replacing Goliath if he is such a nice rooster? Are you keeping him and picking a replacement so you are covered if he keels over dead?

Second BE, with proper coloring, so-so conformation.......do your hens have good conformation?

Are you able to separate the roosters with some hens to hatch chicks from? It might help make up your mind.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the past, I have put some of the contender cockerels along with the pullets into the laying flock, when they were still youngsters, and the chosen underling has grown up along with the Sr. roo. That has worked well, and the 2 roos got along well, until the day they didn't. (when the younger was about a year old). I can't free range, so they are in a confined situation. This year, I kept all the cockerels separate from the laying flock. So, to add a sexually mature cockerel to the laying flock (where Goliath lives) would create mayhem! Goliath is now entering his ?4th year, and his fertility has dropped off. So, it makes sense to replace him, since I want to move through the winter with 2 roos.

My pullets are variable. Some really nice colors, and a few that are pure BE. I could get rid of a few, b/c I have more than needed. I expect that I will process all of the older hens when the pullets are filling the egg basket.

Latest posts