Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My wife showed me something off of face book today. It was hilarious, to bad I am unable to transfer it here. I don't face book don't ask me to.
It was a picture of a pallet full of salt blocks.
Caption read A seat for all feed store employee's, walked on by mice, rats and barn cats. If you licked one of these as a kid you are immune to the corona virus.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like the idea of when someone asks if I got the shot yet, I will respond with an appropriate.... have you had your pap smear yet, or did you go have your colonoscopy recently???? Did you get a rabies vaccine yet???? Rabies is very prevalent in this area...... I consider my medical records personal and private.....

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, I was out digging in the garden. I'm a glutton for punishment. Double digging what will be a new bed. Each area dug up gets a spade full of chicken/duck bedding, then covered with a layer of soil. In the process, I found 3 Magic Molly potatoes. Those will be planted for next season's crop.

Putting finishing touches on the cold frame. An other hour or so of work, and it will be "garden ready".

Ducks have been out in the yard all day. I expect slug population to be greatly decreased this season.

Witnessed a Roo being overly aggressive with one of his ladies. He had her pinned to the perch. So, I gave him a lesson in manners: Grabbed him by the tail, and sent him sailing out of the coop and yard. He will not be let back in until the rest of the flock goes to bed. He'll only have access to a blocked area of coop until I have time to introduce him to the broomstick.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Friend stopped in yesterday to drop off some fresh made goodies. (gotta love friends like that!) Her hubby put out some beaver carcasses and they had 5 Eagles feasting on them recently. I'm not gonna process that roo, so I may offer him to her, for the Eagles. Might as well let them enjoy him, instead of taking the time to bury the tough ol' bird.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Friend stopped in yesterday to drop off some fresh made goodies. (gotta love friends like that!) Her hubby put out some beaver carcasses and they had 5 Eagles feasting on them recently. I'm not gonna process that roo, so I may offer him to her, for the Eagles. Might as well let them enjoy him, instead of taking the time to bury the tough ol' bird.
Tough old birds make the most flavorful soup.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got half a bed planted today. It felt SOOO, SOOO good to be playing in the soil. That soil has gone from inert brown/yellow sand to deep rich black soil with excellent tilth. Rain started this afternoon, so I covered that planting up with plastic until I can get the new 4 x 8 tunnel placed over it. Still getting freezing at night, often down to low 20's.

Peppers and eggplants are growing well, and ready for transplant into pots. Tomatoes are making a good showing. Old seed not sprouted yet, but I have enough varieties up and going that I will not be skunked if the old seed is a bust. 72 cells of misc. flowers, herbs, and brassicas started. An other 72 cell flat to go.

In duck ville: The drake decided he needed to chase Maggie today. Hilarious to see him with beak open, wings out, advancing on the poor surprised dog. Of course, all the Mrs. Ducks had to follow along, just for good measure.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubby and I transported the cold frame down to the garden today. That puppy was heavy, but moved well by putting one end on a wheelbarrow, and hubby steering and carrying his end. Will finish planting that bed before moving cold frame onto it. Potted up 4 day lilies, and planted 4 more in the soil at the end of the RB where the cold frame will go. Good signs of life in all day lily roots. I'm a sucker for day lilies, and they are coming out with new cultivars all the time. Such an easy flower to grow, and absolutely no pests, at least here.