Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For those of you who have ducks, how much fencing do you need to keep them out of a garden bed? I would like to allow the ducks to have limited access to the garden, perhaps even just letting them into the 3' W space between the beds. Looking for ideas for easy to manage fencing. And, if you DO allow your ducks into the garden, how much access, and when do you allow them in? Last year, I found that they would jump up and grab the leaves of the plants that were growing on the garden fence: squash and bean leaves. And, I have no doubt that they would absolutely love pea vines. I'm still "in the process" of learning "duck." So... let's hear your management techniques, what works, doesn't work for you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
For those of you who have ducks, how much fencing do you need to keep them out of a garden bed? I would like to allow the ducks to have limited access to the garden, perhaps even just letting them into the 3' W space between the beds. Looking for ideas for easy to manage fencing. And, if you DO allow your ducks into the garden, how much access, and when do you allow them in? Last year, I found that they would jump up and grab the leaves of the plants that were growing on the garden fence: squash and bean leaves. And, I have no doubt that they would absolutely love pea vines. I'm still "in the process" of learning "duck." So... let's hear your management techniques, what works, doesn't work for you.
For tender things they can destroy, you can use a 2 ft fence to keep them out of there. My greens were the only things I fenced them out of....I didn't let them into the garden until the other plants were well established and not easy to nip at. You might want to put little cattle panel boxes around things like squash plants so they can get their heads in for the squash bugs but cannot trample the stems too much.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found that they LOVED to eat the squash leaves, as well as the beans. So... it will be a learning curve for me, for sure. Remember the chicken chunnel guy? I'd still love to do something like that, but... don't want to do all that wire.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put rolled wire around 3 sides of the garden. The 2"X4" welded wire 2' or 3' high. The pasture side I have cattle panels with chicken wire on it to keep chickens and horses out. Sometimes I put scratch around the garden fence so the chickens hang out near it and eat the bugs before they get in. Except those that emerge under their favorite plants.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a partial roll of 2 x 4 x 4' high welded. I'm tempted to remove the CP from the north side of the garden and replace with that. I can always use CP, so it won't go to waste. Then, thinking that some 3' high wire could be easily set up to protect beds, or chute chickens/ducks between the beds. It would be nice to have the wire tall enough to contain the fowl, while still being able to step over it. Perhaps 2' high with bird netting that could go over the top. Always thinking... so many 2 AM ideas get discarded by 9 AM!!!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What a beautiful, God blessed day. I've been able to be outside doing what I love best: DIGGING! I have a new RB mounded up with LOTS of good poo/hay/leaves layered with soil to the height of 18". This bed is an extension of the bed where I have my cold frame set up. Plan: After veggies in cold frame are up and growing (all cold weather crops), I can slide that frame down to the next bed which will be planted with cucurbits. I expect to warm that bed up with a sheet of plastic over the top. Meanwhile... the compost action IN the bed will get it really cooking! Even though it's 6 weeks early (according to all the locals here) I believe I can plant some squash and melons, cukes under milk jugs NOW!

It feels so very good to be out and working the soil, enjoying my yard. Dealing with Dad in hospice for the past year has taken it's toll. I have a lot of weight to loose, and my physical health has taken a beating with the enforced sedentary life style. God is good. Dad is settling into his new home at the Veteran's home. He's got more energy and enjoying interaction with staff and residents. His life has been preserved for 95 years for such a time as this. I'm confident that God has work yet for Dad to do there!!!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So glad to hear that your dad is doing better now. That is wonderful. that he is settling in and now interacting and having a positive attitude. Really is good.

Yep, getting in the soil is nice. Hoping that I can manage a garden this year....