Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
1628372324640.png

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When we went to pick up the stable litter, M gave me 3 turkey eggs. So tempted to bring them home and stick them in an incubator. But, MUST, ABSOLUTELY NOT. I don't need to be raising birds. However... If I had a hen go broody between now and the day I eat them, I would consider it to be an obligation to stick them under her.

Too hot to do anything outside today. So, stayed inside, nursed a head ache and started a good book that was picked up at the town recycle center. Also brought home a nice sized drawer to repurpose into a nesting box.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1/2 of them, the other half went home with my very soon to be daughter in law :) She probably picked more than me because I'm old and she is not old. So this is probably less than half.
IMG_20210810_182031067_HDR.jpg

Wife says gummy molds will be here tomorrow.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gummy molds? How do you make gummies?
That’s a haul on the elderberries! We picked 2 wash pans yesterday, I’m going to put them in the dehydrator this morning. I finally finished destemming them all at 9:00 last night.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gummy molds? How do you make gummies?
That’s a haul on the elderberries! We picked 2 wash pans yesterday, I’m going to put them in the dehydrator this morning. I finally finished destemming them all at 9:00 last night.
HINT: if you freeze the heads whole (elder berries attached) the berries fall right off the heads with the slightest touch. Gently grab the frozen head and tap it against the inside of a bucket and the berries fall right off. Freezing makes destemming super easy.

WARNING: Make sure you cook the elder berries according to recipes because they contain cyanide. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/elderberry#bottom-line

Edit...
Harvest Note: Harvest season is about two weeks for elder berries. The trees start to ripen top down. The clusters are read to pick when the berries are deep purple and mush easily in-between your fingers. Harvest the ripe clusters only. If all berries on the cluster are not completely ripe, wait a few days and check again. When harvesting cut the cluster off leaving the two leaf shoots, as the tree will produce two clusters from those two shoots the following season.

My wife has a recipe we are going to try, that uses elderberry juice, unflavored jello, cinnamon, ginger and honey. We have not tried it yet, so I can't recommend or not yet. My wife and I been eating one elderberry gummy a day for several months now, along with a ACV gummy, D3, C and Zinc. We would also like to try and make ACV gummies eventually also.

I'll let you all know how the gummy recipe turns out or not.

IMG_20210811_105455929.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ooh, elderberry gummies! What a nice idea! By the way, I'm open to some elderberry seeds if you still have some.
Dang it - I forgot! Please excuse my imperfection. I'll try my best to get the seeds out by this weekend.

Last edited: