Ldychef2k roof problem

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like good news, hopefully you will survive in one piece but with enough damage that your homeowners insurance will help out. Glad to hear you are fine. :hugs

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I have a feeling, given the character and loving hearts of the people here, I would be doing a lot of cooking ! LOL

I made up the recipe...I had some canned pulled pork in BBQ sauce, so all I did was boil the pasta (leftovers of several types, particularly wagon wheel), the add the canned pork which i chopped really fine, a can of black beans and a can of corn. Seasoned to taste, added a bit of catsup and some bacon, and that was it. My son-in-law and two of the three DGD loved it for dinner last night while daughter was at school. I love cooking for them. I was never able to afford to pay her tuition, so now that she is in graduate school I am watching the girls and cooking meals for them and their dad on school nights. It makes me feel like I am making some kind of a contribution.
You are too sweet and considerate! And thats an awesome recipe...I could also barter for your smarts in stocking your pantry, canning, dehydrating..I know! Bee is going to write a book. You should do one on being prepared! Honestly!:D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you !!! That's kind of what I am hoping will eventually come of my blog. It's very hit and miss right now, but maybe some day....

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I just read this. Sorry that you are having roof problems.
Years ago I had storm damage and the adjusters also noticed all sorts of stuff I either hadn't noticed or hadn't even considered to mention. In the end they got the insurance to cover what I needed to get done. I was happy.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I looked up Home Depot in your area and shingles are the same price as here at about $60 a square and 10 square would do a 900sq.ft house (approx.) if the roof sheathing is as bad as you say then 30 sheets of osb at $300 would also be needed. That $1000 would not include tear off and disposal and obviously not labor for the re-install of sheathing, felt, or shingles.

Depending on how bad all the interior trusses are they may need complete replacement and or sistering of new lumber. With an average roof costing about $6000 installed I could see the other $6000 coming from reconstructing the decking and trusses. Not to mention the water damaged ceiling and mold issues that go with that.

You really need to get one of your young and skinny boyfriends to go into the attic and take pictures of the underside of the roof decking and trusses to see how bad they really are. I would hold off on feeding them any of that Cowboy Spaghetti until they come back down, although the gas from the black beans may just do you a favor and blow the roof clean off.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
The insurance estimator was here about an hour ago, in the middle of a deluge, and he saw the fallen fascia and the rotten trusses, put them in the estimate, and if the insurance company okays it, at least the edges on the front of the house will be repaired. He saw the veggies that were sheared off by the "twister" and put me in for "landscape damage" as well! I was surprised.

Even though I was advised by others to pad the claim, I decided to be completely honest, and otherwise just let the Lord touch the heart of the estimator. I feel good about the results.
A seasoned insurance adjuster will have seen more then most could ever imagine and trying to pull a fast one will likely cause him to go on the defensive and scrutinize every little detail. They know what things cost and have a huge data base and even a larger fraud department.

When I had my electronics shop and every time a lightning storm hit people came in by the droves wanting every piece of electronics they owned condemned so they could get new TVs and such. When I told them that I had to physically check each piece for actual lightning damage at a cost of $30 each they would try every excuse just short of bribery for me to declare it unrepairable.

Insurance companies have a sort of secret shoppers who do just that, they will pull a fuse and ask for a condemnation estimate. Trying to sway you with how the insurance companies are giant ripoffs and fleecing us all, though I am sure there is truth in that but defrauding them is also part of the high premiums we pay. I never knew if I was ever tested but then again I never wrote an estimate that wasn't legit.

Sad to say I am glad I closed my shop and went back to work in an industrial setting, dealing with us common folk was becoming a real pain. I did miss the beer fridge in the back though.