Learn to live without the Internet!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree, but didn't dare say anything.
I would miss my online friends, but I guess I'd just have to get along without them. :/

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wonder how many will go nuts without their cell phones..! Everywhere i look someone has a cell phone stuck to their ear...
I love surfing the net, but could live without it.Lots of reading material around..!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Is it just me, or do you all find it ironic that someone is telling us to learn to live without the internet, by joining an internet forum, and telling us --on th internet--(s)he is getting off the internet grid ?.

Sorry, but i can live without the internet just fine. It is not my life, it is some entertainment and education for me. but it is not my life blood and I will not die if this 'vein' is cut.

Sorry, i just find this thread an oxymoron.

:hu
I wasn't going to say anything.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:lol: This is a funny thread!

*in a very serious voice now* I'm getting off the internet train too...(soon as it crashes, until then...I'm good :cool: )

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol....hey thats pretty good Wannabefree...! :) What the heck, might as well ride until we crash..!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I love the internet but I know it wont last forever, :hit so I copy as much of the good info as possible into notepad, (or similar) then edit it to just the parts I need. This saves room on my computer. I put the web address on my copy so if I ever want the big version again I know where to look for it.

I save my version to the hard drive, and burn the most important stuff to disk.
The info I am most likely to need in a world without computers, or without electricity is also printed and in notebooks and files where it can be found. :D I lived off grid with no electric before except for occasionally using a little flashlight or radio. I could do it again. But it would be easier next time, because I had the chance to learn more good stuff.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
DuppyDo said:
Lol....hey thats pretty good Wannabefree...! :) What the heck, might as well ride until we crash..!
Yep, I have backup...called "books." ;) TRYING to get my kid to understand that!! GRRR!! She doesn't want to look ANYTHING up in the dictionary or encyclopedia..."It takes too long!" Yeah...and firing up the computer is instant and FREE? :rolleyes: Stupid kids :smack :lol: Gotta love em though! Thankfully she has parents that know a little something ;)

I do agree technology is WAYYYYYYYYYYY overrated, but well, since it is available at the moment, may as well learn all we can while we can.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Might as well dump the refridgerator and freezer, alarm clock, stove, and all those other great conveniences that have cropped up in the last 60 years...since they'll be useless to and there is no sense relying on them now....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Might as well dump the refridgerator and freezer, alarm clock, stove, and all those other great conveniences that have cropped up in the last 60 years...since they'll be useless to and there is no sense relying on them now....
:gig I think the point is more to prepare for the possibility we could be without certain things. Besides, there are other options to run these things as well. Satellites going out would kill just a few things in our household. I don't think it would affect every single appliance or convenience we own. Though, we could get by without these too, but I sure hope we don't have to go there! It's a LOT more work!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, it TSHTF by way of dirty bomb, nuclear bomb, financial breakdown, solar flares...and the list goes on...all our modern conveniences will be down...really, do you think the electric grid is going to keep running though any of those?, it has a hundred excuses for brown outs and black outs now:>)

If you think about it, it's the electric grid that does all the failing now...